Fauly hard drive or faulty cable?

PsyVision

Hello,

I've just put a 500GB western digital drive in my unRAID box to copy some data from the NTFS partition before moving putting the drive in my unRAID array.  This drive is not new but not particuarly old and hasn't had much used, I did have some problems with it when using it with windows, my cabling in my windows box was very cramped and so it is possible the cables are damaged internally.  I have put an extract of my syslog on pastebin: http://pastebin.com/m3606bdcd.

I have managed to mount it eventually and then attempted to list the folders on the root of the drive which produced an I/O error.  When attempting to copy the files the drive shows the says [FOLDER] Input/Output error for each folder in the root of the drive.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Hello,

I've just put a 500GB western digital drive in my unRAID box to copy some data from the NTFS partition before moving putting the drive in my unRAID array.  This drive is not new but not particuarly old and hasn't had much used, I did have some problems with it when using it with windows, my cabling in my windows box was very cramped and so it is possible the cables are damaged internally.  I have put an extract of my syslog on pastebin: http://pastebin.com/m3606bdcd.

I have managed to mount it eventually and then attempted to list the folders on the root of the drive which produced an I/O error.  When attempting to copy the files the drive shows the says [FOLDER] Input/Output error for each folder in the root of the drive.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

There are tons of errors in the syslog when disk "sdf" is involved.  If this is the 500G WD drive, then you need to try a new cable as you suspected.

Joe L.