Which drives to buy as of 3/17?

omkar

Hello,  I'm an unraid newb about to take the plunge. :)

I'm trying to figure out which drives to purchase.  Lime Tech isn't selling the Seagate 1.5TBs due to issues with those drives (although others have gotten those drives to work it seems).  I also read some info about issues with the Hitachi 1TB drives.

Is the Western Digital 1TB (WD10EADS) the largest drive that will work without issues at this time?  (Well other than perhaps the WD 2TB...)

What about the Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB?

Any other recommendations?

My vote would be for the 1T WD drives.

They are lower power and run cooler than the Seagates, and with their high aerial density, as fast or faster than 7200 RPM drives of the past generation on sequential reads.  Definitely fast enough to keep up with Gigabat ethernet speeds, even with multiple streams.

Only buy what you need.  It could be that 3 months from now the 2T drives will be cheaper and a good choice for expansion.

Thanks for your input bjp!

I went with the Western Digital Green 1TB drives (WD10EADS).  I just picked up 3 of them from Amazon and I think that should give me a good start.  I definitely agree with what you said regarding buying only what you need.  I do hope the 2TB drive will come down in price in a few months :)