Pause / resume Linux Process

SSD

I am going to be doing some reorging on my array, and plan to run some pretty intensive and long-running processes on the unRAID server over the next week or two.

I was concerned that it might interfere with regular use of the array, and wondered if there was a way to pause a process and then resume it at a later time.

A search found a solution:

kill -STOP {pid}

kill -CONT {pid}

I looked on several manpages and did not see those options.  Even running the "kill" command on my unRAID server did not give these options in the command summary.  This made me skeptical.  But I created two telnet sessions and was able to "stop" one from the other, and it became unresponsive.  I entered a command anyway, and then went back to the working session and "cont"inued the other session, at that time it processed the command I had typed.

Neat trick!  Thought I would post in case this might come in handy for someone else.

Any idea why it is not referenced in the manpages (maybe I just wasn't looking at the right one) or in the command summary.  Is there some downside I am not aware of?

Thanks!

Archived