Trouble with GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H board - boots unRAID but no Web Interface

damac3

I am a complete unRAID noob and have little to no Linux experience, so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE forgive me!

I thought I would test out unRAID a bit before I parted out a new system. I had an old system laying around with an old PC Chips motherboard, an old 1.2Ghz Athlon, and 392MB RAM. I threw a SATA Promise PCI card in there that is on the recommended list and hooked up 3 WD 1TB "Green" drives. I put unRAID 4.4.2 on my flash drive, and booted right up. I assigned the drives (and the parity drive, which I know I should not have until I got my data transferred), and started moving files over. It was painfully slow with that old computer, but hey it was working.

I decided to order some parts to make a faster system that is more expandable but energy efficient and cheap for now. So I bought the Coolermaster 690 case, the GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H  motherboard, 2.2Ghz Sempron CPU (cheap, low energy), 2GB DDR, and 450W Corsair (recommended here).

I moved my three drives over to the new system along with my flash drive. Hooked everything up and turned it on. It booted unRAID fine, except at the end of the bootup where I would see samba sharing initialized I instead see the network config files listed and "lNo such directory exists" instead. My router isn't showing a device on the network, and I am unable to ping the device. I tried setting it to a static IP in the network.cfg file, but that didn't work, either. I even tried using another NIC and turning off the onboard NIC, but that didn't work either. One last thing, when I used the command ifconfig, it didn't return any info. But when I used ethtool, it showed an uplink and it looked like the system recognized the ethernet controller.

So I don't know what to do. I have exhausted my skills to this point, and I have searched and read suggested fixes on here with no luck. Should I try a different motherboard? Thanks for any help!

I am a complete unRAID noob and have little to no Linux experience, so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE forgive me!

I thought I would test out unRAID a bit before I parted out a new system. I had an old system laying around with an old PC Chips motherboard, an old 1.2Ghz Athlon, and 392MB RAM. I threw a SATA Promise PCI card in there that is on the recommended list and hooked up 3 WD 1TB "Green" drives. I put unRAID 4.4.2 on my flash drive, and booted right up. I assigned the drives (and the parity drive, which I know I should not have until I got my data transferred), and started moving files over. It was painfully slow with that old computer, but hey it was working.

I decided to order some parts to make a faster system that is more expandable but energy efficient and cheap for now. So I bought the Coolermaster 690 case, the GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H  motherboard, 2.2Ghz Sempron CPU (cheap, low energy), 2GB DDR, and 450W Corsair (recommended here).

I moved my three drives over to the new system along with my flash drive. Hooked everything up and turned it on. It booted unRAID fine, except at the end of the bootup where I would see samba sharing initialized I instead see the network config files listed and "lNo such directory exists" instead. My router isn't showing a device on the network, and I am unable to ping the device. I tried setting it to a static IP in the network.cfg file, but that didn't work, either. I even tried using another NIC and turning off the onboard NIC, but that didn't work either. One last thing, when I used the command ifconfig, it didn't return any info. But when I used ethtool, it showed an uplink and it looked like the system recognized the ethernet controller.

So I don't know what to do. I have exhausted my skills to this point, and I have searched and read suggested fixes on here with no luck. Should I try a different motherboard? Thanks for any help!

Your flash drive is not being properly recognized by your new hardware.  Usually it is because you did not set the volume label to "UNRAID" but it could be other things too.

first try a different flash drive.  Try a more current version of "syslinux" to set it up.  Try re-formatting the flash drive with the HP tool to allow for a geometry that your BIOS might recognize.

Type

ls -l /dev/disk/*

If you do not see the flash drive in the /dev/disk/by-label listing, it cannot be mounted. If it cannot be mounted, it cannot set up the networking. (and you get exactly the symptoms you are seeing)

Other ideas... See if there is a BIOS update for your motherboard... Try a different USB connector.  Try different "USB" settings in the BIOS.

Joe L.

Archived