Help me choose an X10 SuperMicro motherboard (maybe)

I am ready to start my first unRAID build after many months of research.  I still have some of the same questions I had in this embarrassingly old post but I think I'm leaning towards server grade hardware.  It seems that SuperMicro is one of the more respected manufacturers on this forum.  Any advice on which Xeon, Haswell, X10 board to choose?  I’m looking for a microATX board that supports both IPMI and VT-d.  Is chipset an appropriate way to pick?  Is it as simple as C226 > C224 > C222?  According to this, the only microATX C226 board is the X10SLH-F.  That seems like a good choice to me but I see that the X10SL7-F is recommended sometimes because of the separate LSI 2308 chip.  I understand that this has something to do with being able pass the entire controller on to a virtual machine.  Is it true that I wouldn’t be able to pass individual SATA ports to a virtual machine on the X10SLH-F?  I wouldn't need to do that if unRAID was the host, correct? (still a little confused about that)  My plan is to pair this board with 16GB of supported ECC ram and either a E3-1231 v3 or E3-1246 v3 processor.

Like my earlier, referenced post stated my main goals are the NAS and the ability to run SABnzbd, Sick Beard, CouchPotato, Headphones and Torrents.  I’d like the flexibility to run these in either Dockers or via virtual machines.  If I’m only going to use server virtual machines and not GUI, I really don’t need VT-d correct?  I’m seeing that the sever grade motherboards and associated memory are about twice as much as consumer grade stuff.  I guess if I saved enough money I could forgo the server components, but I’m still undecided.  Any advice?