[SOLVED] Slow Parity Sync ~ 5 MB/sec. 1 drive slower than others

Unraid 6b15 in an ESXI VM, 4Gb,1 CPU, 2 Supermicro controllers passed thru to Unraid, Norco 4224.

I've been getting beat up by some hardware troubles for the last few weeks. All started with a power failure while UPS was not tied in. Hard drives randomly showing as missing, flash drive not bootable, parity errors during rebuild from hard drive dropping out. 

Anyway, I seem to have the hardware troubles cleared, but still getting an odd behavior. I am rebuilding parity (after doing a 'New Config') onto a new 4tb drive(all data drives are 3tb). Speeds are running about 5 MB/s where i usually see about 100MB/s.  Disk 5 is a 7200rpm HGST NAS and is showing only about 5% of the reads as all the other drives, but is showing no errors on smart reports. The parity rebuild says it will take about 8 days, which is terrible.

If parity rebuilds successfully I plan on swapping the drive to another slot. If that doesn't fix it, I will try a new drive.

I am curious if anyone has seen this big difference in reads and what can cause it. If it is the drive, do I need to prove errors to RMA it. Is there anything I can do to get its speed back? Any suggestions on other stuff to check are welcome.

Thanks!

-Dave

syslog-5-20-15_slow_parity_sync_-5MB-sec.zip

disk_5_SMART.txt

5-20-15_-_disk5_slow_reads.JPG.264e6bb09a56680b4c62e6187a4caa36.JPG

I was seeing similar issues with the AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 cards. After a certain amount of time, the drives on that controller would slow down. I can't provide you with a fix if that's your problem since I switched to a Dell card flashed to M1015.

Thanks, I have been thinking of switching 1 of the cards to a M1015 to see if it fixes some random slowdowns that I have seen.

What i am seeing now is different. there is no change at all in the speed, it stays right at 5.3MB for 2 days now. Its so frustrating to watch!

I added an updated screenshot. It just shows how much of a difference there is between drives.

-Dave

disk5_slow_reads.JPG.f2154b5879b426aabfc7c7291c616c76.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to close this out now that my speeds are back to the 100MBs range.

I'm happy its working but don't understand what was causing the trouble. My disk #5 was only running at 5.3MB/s no matter if it was on the AOC-SASLP-MV8 or the AOC-SAS2LP-MV8. There was also no change if I swapped ports with another drive that was at full speed.

I ended up changing out both MV8 cards for a M1015 + RES2SV240 expander and is working great now. I wish I had done this from the start.

I have a Norco 4224 and want to give a reminder to anyone that gets a Norco case to double check all the backplane screws. While I had my case open, I was cleaning out the dust and cobwebs and found about half of the backplane screws were loose. I don't know if I missed tightening them when originally built or if they loosened over time. So if you open your case for anything, take a few seconds to check the screws.

-Dave

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to close this out now that my speeds are back to the 100MBs range.

I'm happy its working but don't understand what was causing the trouble. My disk #5 was only running at 5.3MB/s no matter if it was on the AOC-SASLP-MV8 or the AOC-SAS2LP-MV8. There was also no change if I swapped ports with another drive that was at full speed.

I ended up changing out both MV8 cards for a M1015 + RES2SV240 expander and is working great now. I wish I had done this from the start.

I have a Norco 4224 and want to give a reminder to anyone that gets a Norco case to double check all the backplane screws. While I had my case open, I was cleaning out the dust and cobwebs and found about half of the backplane screws were loose. I don't know if I missed tightening them when originally built or if they loosened over time. So if you open your case for anything, take a few seconds to check the screws.

-Dave

I felt the same way when I "fixed" my problems by switching out the cards. It wasn't satisfying that I didn't fix the problem but at least I don't have to worry about it anymore. I'm glad you got things working again!