Can someone help with an Idiots Guide to setting things up

biggranty

Dont know if this is right place to post but hopefully someone can help.

Im very new to this i had HTPC previously which had a stack of hard drives in it with HD movies, Ive decided to go down server route and use an asrock ion with XBMC as htpc now.

My network knowledge is useless and as it stands ive built server and have added a couple of hard drives so far i can see tower via my windows pc but cant access the server via network says it can connect.

Can someone point me in right direction on what i should do.

I have a vista based pc and the asrock ion htpc and the server and want to be able to access them via the network.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if more info is required let me know.

Many Thanks in advance.

cheers

Thanks for getting back to me rob, I can see it listed when i look in Network alongside my windows pc but if i try to view the hard drives in server (which i hope to do so i can start copying files over) it says

Windows cannot access \\Tower

check spelling of name otherwise might be problem with network

Doing my head in now...lol

cheers

Thanks for getting back to me rob, I can see it listed when i look in Network alongside my windows pc but if i try to view the hard drives in server (which i hope to do so i can start copying files over) it says

Windows cannot access \\Tower

check spelling of name otherwise might be problem with network

Doing my head in now...lol

cheers

Have you configured any disks on the unRAID server yet?  Can you get to the unRAID management page via your browser on your PC?

It should be at

//tower

(Note, forward slashes for a URL, not back slashes which are a file-path)

Only after you use the "Devices" page to assign disks and start your array, and create top level "shared drives" will you see any shares on the LAN at //tower.

We are trying to figure out just how far you have gotten in the initial setup.  Did you assign data disks?  Have you assigned a parity disk?  Did you define "Shares"  Did you set them to be viewable?  (Or, more accurately, did you set the Disk shares (SMB) to be exported as "read/write")

Joe L.

Hi  Joe ,

Yes ive attached two 1TB drives one as parity and the other has been formatted but obviously as i cant access it its still blank. I then added share and called it disk 1 and smb  read/write appears to be enabled.

Not sure if this is clear as its  as clear as mud to me...lol

Just a quick post thanks to all that tried helping but now looks like i have things working. Seems UnRAID side was right all along and it was a windows issue. Was driving me mad as i couldnt see what i had possibly done wrong but at least its sorted.

Quick question though regarding quickest and easiest ways to transfer data on drives as i have around 7TB to transfer and ive not set parity drive as i read somewhere the other day but transferring 1tb of data from my windows pc to my UnRAID server is taking 22 hours. Any ideas would be helpful.

cheers

Are both your Windows PC and unRAID server capable of Gigabit LAN speeds?  If so, are you using a Gigabit switch/router and Cat5e or Cat6 cables (this is a lesson I learned first hand)?

The only other thing I can think of that will improve your write speeds is adding a cache drive, though I believe that only helps if you have a parity drive installed.  One method might be to assign one of your unused drives to be a temporary cache drive, and use it as long as the other three drives have free space left.  Once you have completely filled all the other data drives, then you could go back and re-assign your temporary cache drive into a data slot.  This way you would have faster transfers while the temporary cache drive is installed, then slower transfers when you re-assign it as a data disk.  But by that point, you should have most of your data transferred.

Like I said, though, since you already don't have a parity drive assigned, using a temporary cache drive may not make any difference at all, I'm not 100% sure.

Are both your Windows PC and unRAID server capable of Gigabit LAN speeds?  If so, are you using a Gigabit switch/router and Cat5e or Cat6 cables (this is a lesson I learned first hand)?

The only other thing I can think of that will improve your write speeds is adding a cache drive, though I believe that only helps if you have a parity drive installed.  One method might be to assign one of your unused drives to be a temporary cache drive, and use it as long as the other three drives have free space left.  Once you have completely filled all the other data drives, then you could go back and re-assign your temporary cache drive into a data slot.  This way you would have faster transfers while the temporary cache drive is installed, then slower transfers when you re-assign it as a data disk.  But by that point, you should have most of your data transferred.

Like I said, though, since you already don't have a parity drive assigned, using a temporary cache drive may not make any difference at all, I'm not 100% sure.

He does not have a parity drive installed, therefore a cache drive would not help.  Besides, with 7TB to transfer, the cache would quickly be used up anyway, and the normal write to the parity protected drives would still have to constantly occur slowing the whole process down.

No simple solution exists, as I said on another thread, just writing zeros to a 1TB drive locally can take 3 to 5 hours, depending on the hardware.  To copy 1TB from 1 drive to another will easily take 4 or 5 hours, even if both disks were on the same server and nothing were going over the LAN.

Just deal with the fact that 7TB of data is a lot of data to migrate.  Take the time to organize it as you want when it is finally all in place.

Joe L.

Archived