Some newbie questions

avpap

Hello to all,

please bear with me for some newbie questions! I have a synology box and was looking to expand it by using unraid on a celeron 1820 box I had lying around. I installed unraid and all is well. I wanted the extra horsepower of the celeron (unraid) in order to run plex media server on it. I installed plex via docker (very cool tech). I know that plex doesn't support remote drives, so after some digging around, I created a folder /mnt/disk1/OLDNAS and mounted them (via mount -t cifs ...) my movies folder on the NAS. Plex was able to "see" my old library and everything went very smoothly.

And.. that's when my problems started  ;D

I decided to power down the unraid.

In the beginning it wouldn't power down, and I realised this was because of the mounts. I unmounted the folder and it powered down. I then powered it back up, mounted my nas folder again, restarted the plex docker app. Now even though I can access my media on the NAS via the mounted folder (both in command line and through the unraid gui), plex doesn't "see" the  mounted folder. The folder OLDNAS can be seen by plex, but it is empty.

That's my first and primary question. I have two more :D

Is there a way to automatically mount remote folders on startup of unraid. I thought of editing fstab, but it didn't work. Maybe, because when unraid starts the array is by default offline and we start it manually?

The last question is there a way to automatically unmount drives on shutdown, so i don't need to do it manually via command line each time?

Thank you very much! I don't mind reading by myself and you don't need to write the exact steps (althought it would be much appreciated!), but please can you give me some pointers?

Thank you very much! This was the answer to all three of my questions. I can mount smb shares via gui, when I stop the array, they are unmounted, when I power up the array they are mounted automatically AND plex works fine.

Archived