Cannot log into console when AD joined and DC server down

Schar

My AD server has been a "tad" unreliable of late (hardware issues).

Anyway - noticed something odd.

Scenario:

UNRAID IP set with static DNS servers (legacy from v6 beta when DHCP wasn't working for me).

The domain controller / DNS server referenced was offline.

> logging into the console (or over SSH) - enter the user, very slow prompt for the password and no response (gave up at ten minutes). Never logged in.

Now I am well behaved and have a second DNS server, so edited resolve.conf to point to an active DNS server via my Surface and rebooted, and all was good and healthy.

Seems a bit odd, but wanted to call it out.

On one other occasion where the DC was merrily bouncing itself up and down (I'm suspecting either a dodgy mobo or PSU), I managed to log in (must have been a brief moment when the DNS (LDAP?) services were up - not sure what the dependency was), got into the WebAdmin. Then everything froze until I issued a samba stop via the console. Then the web GUI came back to life. Starting the array in the GUI then required a reboot (which needed some intervention too).

I can try and pull logs if anyone is interested. Not a huge deal for me as I've figured out how to resolve (I have other issues when things are not working in DC land) but figured it was worth posting in case anyone else had seen this.