We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Can a VM be moved to cache drives after setup?

personalt

I have a  win7 sever  that has a small SD drive with OS and a pair of 3TB drives in raid 1.  My plan to rebuild this server as a VM under unraid.    I want to play with unraid to test the VM before I go all in.  My server is a video server and uses a Haupagee caputre tool that runs over USB but is finiky.  I want to make sure that passes through before I go all in.    I  dont have a stack of extra drives where I can build a whole new  setup without reusing some of the drives from my current system.

It is possible  run unraid with just  a single drive to set up and test the hypervisior?      I would like to keep the original OS drive data drives on the side in case I decide to revert back. 

I have seen some setups where they use SSDs for cache drives and  run the VMs(or at least the ones that are speed sensitiveness) off the cache drives.  I think that would be my end game but was wondering if I can migrate the VMs between the regular and cache drives if I so choose.

I'm surprised no-one has answered this for you. The short answer is yes you can.

When you first create a VM you'll specify where the virtual disk will reside (this can be anywhere you like).

Should you wish to move it (after say fitting a new cache drive etc) you'll only need to;

- Shutdown the VM

- Copy/move the virtual disk to the new location/drive

- Edit the xml of the VM, changing the file path section for the virtual disk

- Start the VM

Simples ;)

Archived