New build advice

ubern00b

Hi all

I am looking at moving away from my trusty Microserver (N54L) to give me something with more expansion. I am aware I can cram 2 more drives in the 5.25" bay in the Microserver but I don't want to go down this route. So, this is what I have come up with:

Case: Silverstone DS380B 8 Bay NAS Chassis (£116.51)

PSU: Silverstone Strider SST-ST30SF SFX Series - 300 Watt '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply (£41.99)

The above two items I am set on, gives me plenty expansion in a small form factor. Only looking to utilise the front 8 bays in the case. So, with that in mind I have the below two configurations for you to pick apart, tell me if I am going to have any issues etc.

Motherboard: ASRock FM2A78M-ITX+ (£73.98)

Processor: AMD A6-7400K (£44.18)

CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Alpine 64 PLUS (£10)

RAM: Team Group Elite Black 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C11 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (£29.99)

SATA Card: Syba SATA III 4 Port PCI-e 2.0 x2 Card with Low Profile Bracket (33.79)

So, a pretty powerful system for a NAS. I don't transcode or run any add-ons, purely a basic unRAID with SMB shares. Overkill yes however would last a good while without the need to upgrade in any way. The motherboard has 6 onboard SATAIII ports and the additional PCI-e card gives another 4, so 10 drives in total.

OR

Motherboard: ASRock AM1B-ITX (£31.51)

Processor: AMD APU Athlon 5350 Quad Core Processor (£31.89)

CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Alpine M1 (£5.35)

RAM: Team Group Elite Black 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C11 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (£29.99)

SATA Card: Syba SATA III 4 Port PCI-e 2.0 x2 Card with Low Profile Bracket (33.79)

Around £65 cheaper but still powerful enough for my needs. The lower TDP of the CPU (25w vs 45w) is attractive, could run a passive heatsink. Motherboard has 4 x SATAIII ports and the expansion card gives me 8 drives in total, which is all I really need/want.

The crux here for me is, do you know of any issues with any of this hardware when running with unRAID? I just want a nice easy migration from my Microserver to the new hardware.

Thank you for looking and thank you in advance for any advice given :)

Archived