SMART Status question

Reasons for lack of SMART -

* Really really really old drive (very unlikely, you would have to have a very old bus to connect it to)

* Unusual controller that doesn't pass SMART info (a firmware update for controller will sometimes fix it)

* Corrupted firmware on drive (perhaps corrupted by huge electrical spike (e.g. nearby lightning strike))

Note: normally the drive would have other serious problems too, but I've seen a drive that lost SMART and clicks more but otherwise is fine

* System has disabled the drive (usually requires a reboot for kernel to pick the drive back up)

Can't think of any others, might be though ...

Reasons for lack of SMART -

* Really really really old drive (very unlikely, you would have to have a very old bus to connect it to)

* Unusual controller that doesn't pass SMART info (a firmware update for controller will sometimes fix it)

* Corrupted firmware on drive (perhaps corrupted by huge electrical spike (e.g. nearby lightning strike))

Note: normally the drive would have other serious problems too, but I've seen a drive that lost SMART and clicks more but otherwise is fine

* System has disabled the drive (usually requires a reboot for kernel to pick the drive back up)

Can't think of any others, might be though ...

thanks, good to know. Its definitely an old drive (at least 10 years), but its still SATA. Its never been a problem or had issues but has never in my recollection of v4, 5 or 6 been able to scan. Good to know though.