Make a directory listing public?

Not sure if this is a practical idea, but I thought it would be nice if I could get the unRAID box to periodically "push" a list of files (contents) to a web page of my choosing.

Let's say, for example, I have website.com on a Linux box with a page called music located at www.website.com/music. I'd like to be able to have unRAID send a listing of my Movies share to that web page somehow (using rsync maybe?). This would enable me to see/show a full list of my movies from remote locations, without having to expose the unRAID box to the internet with a web server.

The idea is just to see the list, not actually stream any of them. Is this a crazy idea, or has anyone seen or heard of such a script or know an easy way to accomplish this? Or would it be easier to access the unRAID box from outside by putting it into the DMZ on the router, or using port forwarding?

Not sure if this is a practical idea, but I thought it would be nice if I could get the unRAID box to periodically "push" a list of files (contents) to a web page of my choosing.

Let's say, for example, I have website.com on a Linux box with a page called music located at www.website.com/music. I'd like to be able to have unRAID send a listing of my Movies share to that web page somehow (using rsync maybe?). This would enable me to see/show a full list of my movies from remote locations, without having to expose the unRAID box to the internet with a web server.

The idea is just to see the list, not actually stream any of them. Is this a crazy idea, or has anyone seen or heard of such a script or know an easy way to accomplish this? Or would it be easier to access the unRAID box from outside by putting it into the DMZ on the router, or using port forwarding?

unless you are an expert in security (and since you are asking this question, you most definitely are NOT an expert) you will not be able to secure your unRAID server.  Do not put it in the DMZ zone of your router... it will be hacked... guaranteed.

To get a listing of files is as easy as

echo "<pre>"  > /boot/movies.html

cd /mnt/user

ls Movies  >> /boot/movies.html

you can then move the file from the flash drive root folder (/boot on linux) to your external site in whatever way they support.    The name of your "Movies" share will need to match that used in the "ls" command.  If your share is lower case, use lower case in the "ls" command, if mixed case, use mixed case.

If it has any special characters or spaces, use quote marks around the name or backslashes before the special characters like this:

ls "my movies" >>/boot/movies.html