Error While Booting

jim

After 4 months of flawless performance my server has suddenly stopped working.  It no longer creates a connection from the ethernet port so I have connected a monitor to it, run the system log and have found the following errors:

Tower Kernel: hde: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

TowerKernel: hde: drive_cmd: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }

Tower emhttp[607]: smart ioctl: Input/output error

Tower emhttp[567]: shcmd (5): killall -w smbd nmbd

I think this must mean there is a hardware fault however don't know what to do from this point.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

• 2 weeks later...

Well since I have had no reply to this post or from an email I sent to Tom I have tried replacing the "hde" hard drive (which appears to be a faulty one?).

I now get a different sys log however the server still won't start up and connect to the lAN.

This is what comes up on the last 3 lines:

Tower kernel: md4: wrong

Tower kernel: md: import hdf WDC WD2000JB-00KFA0 WD-WCAMT1513867 offset: 63 size 195360952

Tower emhttp[567]: schcmd (5): killall -w smbd nmbd

I would really appreciate some ideas on what to try as I am completely new at this.

I think my next step might be to replace the motherboard as it seems to be the on board lan not working.  Though this is a guess on my part... 

What version of unRaid are you using?

I got the same behavior before I upgraded to ver3.0.  Don't replace the motherboard yet, it's most likely that your MB is OK.

I think what happened is because of the disk error, samba (which provides file services for connected Windows  machines) did not start.  Don't know why the unRaid server management page did not start.  Using a monitor and keyboard attached to the server, I tried doing a shutdown from the command prompt several times, but still couldn't get the management page up on my Windows machine.  I shut off main power (the rocker switch on the PS), reseated my promise TX2 adapter card and replugged the IDE cables.  When I restarted the server, it seemed to boot OK and after waiting a bit, I could get the web page status up.  the 2 drives plugged into one of the cables on my promise adapter came up as new.   I was careful to not allow it to reformat the drives, I just started a sync to rebuild parity and didn't lose any data.  Since then I upgraded to version 3.0 and it has not happened since (though I only updated recently).

HTHs

Regards.. Ed

Firstly thanks for your reply Ed.  :D

I am using unRaid 3.0

I have done all you have suggested however this has not fixed the problem.

I noticed that there was no lights on the ethernet port on the computer or on the router it is plugged into so I found an old lan card and put it in a spare pci slot.  I disabled on-board lan and started the computer.  Now there are lights on for a network connection but it still does not start up fully as the Tower doesn't appear on the DHCP server and I can't connect to it via a web page.  The bottom few entries in the syslog have not changed and are detailed above.

I typed in "ifconfig eth0" and it comes back with:  eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found.

I guess this old lan card might not be compatible? So will buy a netgear gigabit pci adapter which has been reported to work.

I also checked out the USB drive by viewing on a computer running Ubuntu - I couldn't see anything wrong with the files or the device.

So any more suggestions would be great!

Ok, well instead of getting a LAN card I decided to buy a new motherboard.  Just installed it in the tower and it is back up and working!

unRaid is now happily re-building the hard drive I replaced before.  Looks like I had two hardware failures - 1 hard drive and the motherboard.

Just happy it is working again!  ;D