We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Should I be worried about 2 parity errors?

Rajahal

I've been running a lot of parity checks lately, partly because I've had to shut my server down the hard way on a few occasions due to an ongoing problem with my web management page.  I noticed two parity checks in a row both reported 2 parity errors.  However, my latest one, run just yesterday, showed no parity errors.  I understand that it may be too late to act on this since I've restarted the server since the parity checks that reported errors.

If it helps, this post includes a recent syslog, which I believe I captured just after one of the hard restarts (and therefore just at the beginning of one of the parity checks that reported 2 errors).  Joe L. already looked at that syslog and didn't find anything amiss.

A forced/hard reset will frequently cause a parity error when the array next starts. 

You'll see the errors at the start of the parity check process and they can usually be ignored.  The reiserfs on the data disks uses a journal to replay partially committed transactions.  The parity drive has no equivalent, so the parity check just gets it into sync.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest smnas

I do a Manual Parity Check at least once a Month to ensure the integrity of all the data drives are up to sync with the parity drive, just as assurance.

If doing a Manual Parity Check discovers no problems, your on the right path. If you do a normal power down/power on, start the Manual Parity Check on the Main unRAID server site and you come across an error(s), I'd be concerned.

Archived