An alternative to FreeCommander, Xplorer2 Lite & 2xExplorer - File Management.

Guest smnas

Hi all. To those to love to have more than two (or several more) folder panes open at any given time, using a File Management application makes life a little easy to transfer files from one share to another, compare files/folders, etc...

In the past and up to now, I've used different applications, from the good old 2xExplorer (Sadly no longer going), FreeCommander and Xplorer2 Lite (Xplorer2 Lite is the replacement for 2xExplorer now), all free-based applications.

I'm putting it to people and asking what they think is the best File/Folder Management tool that they use and swear by, in terms of features, support, efficiency, etc... I use FreeCommander at work (Windows XP), but for some strange reason it works under Windows 7, but you can't see it as a listed program when you shuffle or rolodex to see what applications you have open. I use Xplorer2 Lite on my Windows 7 PC and use FreeCommander or 2xExplorer for any Windows XP-based PCs.

I just use standard Windows Explorer (in Win7).  I frequently have many windows open at once, and I don't find Windows Explorer constricting at all.  Win7 now has the auto-resizing features too, which make managing many open windows even nicer (drag a window to the left side of the screen, and it takes up half the screen.  same with the right side.  drag it to the top and it takes up the whole screen).

Yeah I sometimes resort to using the 50/50 Window Explorer split view that Windows 7 offers (it's pretty cool actually, though I'm certain Windows 3.1 use to have this feature too and dropped it in Windows 95 onwards :) ).

It is great to use Function buttons on the keyboard in File management applications, like F5 to copy, F6 to move, F8 to create a new directory, etc... Given I use both Windows XP and 7, it would be sweet to have one application across all PCs and only learn one set of commands within that application, instead of mastering two or three applications.

Their is Total Commander, but like Xplorer2 Lite, you have to pay to get all the cool features. Any other suggestions guys? I appreciate you thoughts and ideas, Thanks.

Archived