$239 Barebone Package - Pent G6950, LGA1156 MB, 2 GB DDR3 RAM, ATX Case, 480W PS

chinesedentist

This seems like a great deal on a package that would make good basic build components for an unraid server. 

http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/201759

mwave has the following mwave EMI Atx Bare Bone Computer with the following:

* Intel BX80616G6950 Pentium G6950 Clarkdale 2.8GHz Dual-Core Processor

* MSI H55M-P31 LGA1156 H55 MicroATX Motherboard

* Kingston KVR1333D3N9/2G ValueRAM 2 GB DDR3-1333 SDRAM Memory

* Enlight EN-PA420505 ATX Mid Tower

* LOGISYS PS480D 480w Power Supply

... all for a low $239.99 Free Shipping after Coupon Code: SUBSCRIBER (Exp 3/31). Please note you must be both be registered at mwave and a mClub member to take advantage of the discounts. Tax in CA.

Seems like with this package all you'll need is the hard drives.

Sure, the case may be taller than some would prefer, but it has 6 x 3.5" internal bays to match the 6 included Sata II ports on the mobo so it'd be perfect for a Plus build out of the box. 

If you want to go pro, the PCI-e x16 port could of course add more Sata ports via an expansion card.  There are 4 x 5.25" bays on the case as well, so you could install two of the 3x3.5" in 2x5.25" back planes to add 6 externally accessible drives.

Here's an example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817993019&cm_re=sata_backplane-_-17-993-019-_-Product

A small potential downside of the mobo is you'll need to run headless or pickup a cheap PCI-e graphics card because the D-Sub port apparently won't work with the included Pentium dual core processor.  It only works if you use a CPU with integrated graphics such as the i3.

Since most run their unraid builds headless, this won't be an issue for most, most likely.

You'll probably also want to consider swapping out the included power supply for something more efficient, but at least it's a single +12v rail and should get you up and running. 

The 2 GB of DDR3 RAM, the included Dual Core CPU, and the Realtek GigE lan should all also be sufficient for an unraid build. 

Is there anything I'm missing? 

I agree, this does look like a good start up package for unRAID.  It might even make sense to resell the included processor and buy an i3, which would allow you to use the onboard video capabilities instead of buying a separate video card.

While the power supply is most likely crap in terms of efficiency, it is surprisingly enough a single 12+ V rail model: link

Archived