not quite fully storage related, but...

tmp31416

...it's going to end up on my unraid box anyway.  so, since it's part of my server, it can be viewed as storage-related after all.

(hmmm)

does anyone here have some pci slot covers with ps/2 mouse holes laying around unused?  and/or any pci slot cover with a db9 hole, too?

i cleaned up some stuff a few moons ago when i thought my ex-g/f was going to move in... and it turns out that it's the smallest trinkets, the smallest "doodads" (that was a technical term) that take the least amount of space that you end up missing when you need them.

i had a million of slot covers with db9, db9+db25, db25+ps/2, etc. holes in them, in my drawers.  i don't anymore (reason cited above) and i would need something that would let me put a reset switch for my centurion 590 in a clean & safe spot in my server.  something that would not get caught if i had to quickly attach that sunbeam lan-party harness around it.

the only store that seems to have them is, in polite terms, a shady operations and a monetary black-hole. and ebay did not yield any results, surprisingly.  so, help!

cheers.

p.s.: preference is a slot cover with a single ps/2 mouse hole.  thank you.

any switch will work, just get a toggle/rocker or button from the electroncis store, they usually fit in a pretty standard/small sized hol eyou can just use a drill to make.

you shouldnt need a reset switch... ever. which is why a lot fo high end/expensive cases dont even have one.

any switch will work, just get a toggle/rocker or button from the electroncis store, they usually fit in a pretty standard/small sized hol eyou can just use a drill to make.

you shouldnt need a reset switch... ever. which is why a lot fo high end/expensive cases dont even have one.

hello --

i have the switch already (got it off ebay) and it is installed... but not in the best way:

a9uwzs.jpg

i bought the exact same sort of switch from the same ebay vendor for my other centurion 590. i had one pci slot cover with a single ps2 hole in it (oops, and a db25 one too) that i used to mount the reset switch and it was quasi-perfect.

2w3w8jd.jpg

if i could do the same for my nas, i would be very happy.

as for not supposed to be needing a switch, well, i do believe that there are still good reasons to have one.  

i have yet to see a micro-computer that does not hang hard.

cheers.

you can use your power switch to powerdown, if you have a hard crash, youre better off hard power cycling anyway.

yeah that switch is massive, you should be able to pick up a tiny switch fro your local electronics shop that all youll need is a 3-4mm drill bit.

http://search.dse.com.au/electronics/Toggle%20Switch

something liek this will be sturdy and tiny. just give it a flick, then flick back... or rbrn buy a 3 position one and make a combo power and reset toggle switch.

Archived