Preclear syslog and Flash drive problem?

abernardi

Hi all,

I was preclearing a 1.5TB drive today when I started getting a stream of errors in the syslog, here's a partial example:

Jun  5 19:02:29 unRAID kernel: FAT: Directory bread(block 480) failed

Jun  5 19:02:29 unRAID kernel: FAT: Directory bread(block 481) failed

Jun  5 19:02:29 unRAID kernel: FAT: Directory bread(block 482) failed

Jun  5 19:02:29 unRAID kernel: FAT: Directory bread(block 483) failed

Jun  5 19:02:29 unRAID kernel: FAT: Directory bread(block 484) failed

I found a thread on the forums and will try some of the suggestions to see what's going on.

I also put another raw drive in the tower, a 2TB drive, and am getting back some funky stuff in the syslog.  I tried to preclear it yesterday and the script froze, so now that the 1.5TB disk is precleard, I'm going to change the SATA cable and see if that's the problem.

Anyway, could someone take a look at the syslog and just confirm that I'm on the right track?  THANKS!

Adam

syslog-2010-6-5.rtf.zip

Hi all,

I was preclearing a 1.5TB drive today when I started getting a stream of errors in the syslog, here's a partial example:

Jun  5 19:02:29 unRAID kernel: FAT: Directory bread(block 480) failed

Jun  5 19:02:29 unRAID kernel: FAT: Directory bread(block 481) failed

Jun  5 19:02:29 unRAID kernel: FAT: Directory bread(block 482) failed

Jun  5 19:02:29 unRAID kernel: FAT: Directory bread(block 483) failed

Jun  5 19:02:29 unRAID kernel: FAT: Directory bread(block 484) failed

I found a thread on the forums and will try some of the suggestions to see what's going on.

I also put another raw drive in the tower, a 2TB drive, and am getting back some funky stuff in the syslog.  I tried to preclear it yesterday and the script froze, so now that the 1.5TB disk is precleard, I'm going to change the SATA cable and see if that's the problem.

Anyway, could someone take a look at the syslog and just confirm that I'm on the right track?  THANKS!

Adam

Your flash drive USB port got disconnected.  From then on, the attempts to read the flash drive failed.  I expect writing to it will also fail, so when shutting down to replace the cable I expect it will not be able to update the superblock, and you will be faced with a full parity check upon powering up once more.  Yes, it looks like one of the SATA cables is either defective or not properly seated as there are tons of CRC errors in communicating with the disk.

Joe L.

OK, I'm getting better at this. 8)

Well, the flash drive is DEAD.  It's not recognized on any of my other systems at all, doesn't even show up in Disk Utilities on the Mac and no lights are flashing.  It was a Verbatim flash drive, R.I.P.

I've formatted a new Lexar thumb drive, but since it's new I don't have a license for it yet.  Can I start the system with an un-licensed system?

Archived