1 PC 2 Gamers rig

Davech

Greetings!

I would like to ask for your opinion and help regarding the following task. 

I have the following hardware available:

CPU: i5 4690K overclocked to 4.4GHZ

GPUs: MSI ARMOR GTX 1070 8GB overclockable by 20% + ATI HD 6850 1GB overclockable by 20%

RAM kits: 2x2 GB ADATA overclocked to 1866 + 2x4 GB HYPER X FURY 1866 

MOTHERBOARD: ASROCK Z97 EXTREME 4/3.1

PSU: FSP HYPER 700W

SSD: SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB

HDDs: 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA + 500GB WD BLUE + 1TB TOSHIBA

NETWORK ADAPTERs: MEDIATEK 802.11ac WIRELESS LAN CARD (connected via USB) + TL WN722N WIRELESS ADAPTER (not in use)

DISPLAYs: ASUS VS247HR + BENQ EW2430

KEYBOARDs: MODECOM GAMING KEYBOARD + HAMA EXODUS MACRO KEYBOARD

MICE: LOGITECH G402 MOUSE + A4TECH BLOODY MOUSE

MICROPHONE: BLUE YETI

SOUND: Maxell BT-03 SPEAKERS (can be connected via 3.5mm jack or USB) + SAMSON SA850 HEADPHONES + SAMSUNG GALAXY S8 HEADSET (5m cable extensions possible) + BENQ BUILT IN SPEAKERS

I would like to create 2 gamers 1 rig composition. The main goal of the rig is that two player could play TERA Online (MMORPG) on two separate displays, with separate sound, keyboard, mouse and IP addresses. It is more of a CPU demanding game rather than a GPU demanding one.

Measurements made with MSI Afterburner:

*The ATI 6850 1GB on its own uses 50-60% when this game is played.

*The GTX 1070 uses around 20%.

*The game runs smoothly on 2-cores, using around 70%-80% of the i5. When on 4-cores it uses around 50%

I would like to know that in your opinion whether it is possible to accomplish this with my hardware https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuJYMCbIbPk 

I am interested in any solution you can offer to me and I appreciate any idea. I have met with the idea of virtualisation two weeks ago.

I have become familiar with VMware Workstation pro 12.5 and 14. These have the option to 3D Acceleration which boosts graphics performance but it isn't a quite like PCI GPU Passthrough as I have heard. I have read about similar situations where they used the terms KVM and vSPHERE. I am not completely familiar with these terms and I have only guesses what they mean exactly. I can imagine that they are server level virtualisation that allow a firmware/kernel to manage multiple VMs with retaining high hardware performance as certain hardware can be directly assigned to certain VMs instead of running around the OS. Please correct and enlighten me if I am wrong with that idea.

Your solution in this video seems a lot easier than messing around with the previously mentioned KVM and vSPHERE.

I am willing and interested in learning anything new.

My goal would be splitting this machine into two somehow like this:

CPU: (( 2x 4.4 GHz core // 2x 4.4 GHz core ))

GPU: (( 1070 // 6850 ))

RAM: (( 6 GB // 6 GB )) or (( 8 GB // 4GB ))

STORAGE: (( SSD:120GB + HDD:1TB // SSD:120GB + HDD:500GB + HDD:1TB )) or if SSD cannot be split (( SSD:250GB + HDD:1TB // HDD:500GB + HDD:1TB ))

NETWORK ADAPTER: (( both on Mediatek 802.11ac )) or (( Mediatek 802.11ac // TL WN722N )) whichever solution solves separate IP addresses, I can also get an ethernet cable for the PC but I'd prefer USB network adapter solution if possible

DISPLAY: (( BENQ // ASUS ))

KEYBOARD: (( HAMA // MODECOM ))

MOUSE: (( LOGITECH // A4TECH ))

SOUND: (( SAMSON // SAMSUNG HEADSET )) I have 3 speakers slots because of the Yeti Microphone. The Samson would be attached to the Yeti while the Samsung headset would be attached to either the back or front HD audio panel.

I am planning to run Windows 10 x64 Pro on both systems or if not possible then just simple Home.

Thank you very much for your time

Yours faithfully,

David Pasztor

Archived