Will this 4-port Siig SiL 3114 SATA card work with unRAID?

dschur

I picked up one of these at Fry's last night for another 1-time project I was working on:

http://www.siig.com/product.asp?catid=7&pid=465

It's based on the Silicon Image 3114 Chipset. It's identified under Vista (drivers downloaded automatically from Windows Update) as:

"Silicon Image Sil 3114 SATARaid Controller"

I'm done using it for my project now, so the question is, with my 2 onboard mobo SATA ports alread tied up, will this card work with unRAID 4.0? Anyone have experiences with this card or chipset? If so, I'll keep it (with 2 onboard SATA ports, 4 onboard IDE, 2 ea. Promise Ultra 133,  and this, could I have a potential 18 drives? (or it would allow me to switch over to SATA as I add/upgrade drives).

Thanks in advance for any confirmation. For 70 bucks, I'll keep the card if I can get some use from it in the future, otherwise it's going back.

It should work with unraid 4.0, but if you can get $70 back for that card I'd say that's a great deal to take advantage of. Sil 3114 is SATA 1 only, does not support SATA II speed nor extended features (Port Multiplier comes to mind) and has reliability issues on its (soft) RAID features.

SIL's next gen chipsets (Sil 3132, 3124) are better.

Archived