Losing snapshots on reboot

scorcho99

So I had snapshots working great, or so I thought. I followed the youtube guide to link my unraid server to virt-manager on my PC. I converted the disks to qcow2. I set all my vms to use seabios. I tested the snapshots, restoring, creating, deleting. Everything worked great.

Then I rebooted the server yesterday to do a hardware upgrade and I was surprised to see no snapshots. I didn't initially think the reboot caused it but I found this thread and it fits. I suspect when look with the qemu-img command I will see all the snapshots.

Reading through this, what seems to happen is unraid just rebuilds the VMs at startup and the vm snapshot is lost because the vm only ever existed in volatile memory.

The *disk* snapshot still exists but the virt manager gui doesn't look for those, it probably uses the same virsh snapshot list command as Ti33700N was using. Basically, the disk snapshot is still there, but virt-manager and virsh snapshot-list don't key off of disk snapshots, they are a superset of disk snapshots.

That's not really so bad, only the disk snapshots honestly matter to me. The changes to the vm hardware/xml are just not frequent or complicated enough that they are much use to me. If I had multiple virtual disks it would be different but I currently do not. The main thing I'm missing is the nice simple GUI in virt manager for working with the snapshots.

Is there a way to keep the snapshots visible or restore them on reboot? Alternatively, does anyone know a simple gui tool to manage the disk snapshots?

Archived