New 6 build to replace old 5, will rocketraids do

It's been a long time since I went here, and my good old unRAID 5/i3/2GB have just been chugging along most of the time. But now I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. Or rather a new system to support VMs. I am looking at salvaging an Adaptec 1430 4xSATA and Intel Pro/1000 from my current system. The PSU and disk bays will also come along. 

The new hardware I am looking at is a Supermicro X7DBE+, LGA 771/Socket J, 2 x Intel Xeon X5460, 32G. I also have a RocketRaid 2300 4xSATA and an RocketRaid 2720 (2710?) 8xSAS2.

The setup looks a bit overkill for my needs, but I get a good price. Today I run 6 SATA onboard and 4 on the Adaptec, plus one ESATA onboard to a external dock. I got 15 bays of Icy 5-in-3s, and possibly some room for internal SSDs, so 16 ports would be nice. The Supermicro got 6 on board. I have no doubts the supermicro will work with unRAID 6, but what about the RocketRaids? Am I wrong if I think I can run SATA drives on the 2720? Is there support for RR in base Linux kernel, or are external drivers needed? The previous owner ran windows, so he can not advise. I just want to have an idea what to expect before I tear down the old install to find out the board won't fit in my case. 

Lars Olof

(Realised I posted in the wrong place, so deleted and reposted)

Edited by larson