MD5Recurse hash program built for unRAID

I have created a recursive hashing software in Scala (running on JVM). I have designed scripts around it that fit the usages I had for unRaid.

Md5Recurse

• Hash algorithm: MD5 (not others like sha-1)
  • Hash Storage options 
    • File-attributes
    • Global md5data text file and/or
    • Local per-directory .md5 files (with comments containing lastmodified timestap (thx to corz.org for that idea)) and/or
  • By default it rescans hashes of all new files and all files with modified timestamps.
  • It supports check all files with identical last-modified filestamps against last seen hash (bitrot-detection)
  • It supports printing missing and modified files

Thoughts on storage options

• file-attributes are kept when moving and renaming file in linux, so the Md5Recurse program knows the previous hash for the file, even if the file has been moved or renamed.
  • file-attributes and Windows file share (Samba): file-attributes are kept when moving within same share via Samba (windows) but are not kept when moving file via samba from one share to another. In the latter case a rescan will occur.
  • Global md5data: The global md5data files is sorted by dirs, and is a text file. This makes it possible to do manual verifications using diff with old version of file, should the user be so inclined. I have found that useful.
  • Local .md5 files with comments: The files are in the standard format, thus can be used to verify checksums in other programs, such as Total Commander.

Thoughts on hash-algorithm

• The MD5Recurse has been built to detect corruption trickered by non-malicious users, such as failing disks, bad restore from backup and similar. For this purpose MD5 is perfect, because its fast and the collision probability is negligible.
  • For protection against malicious change of files by users who want to steal your Dash or Bitcoins, sha-1 would be better.

unRAID script (md5recurse_unraid)

The release contains a unRAID specific bash-script which

• Scans /mnt/cache, /mnt/disk* in parallel, and places all md5data in one global file for each disk
  • Scan /mnt/user and places md5data in global md5data for the /mnt/user. The /mnt/user scan will detect hashes from previous cache and disk* scans via file-attributes (and local-dir .md5 files if enabled)
  • Makes daily and weekly backup of last global md5data files, and places these on two different disks

Thoughts on usages in case of data-loss

• If a disk crashes I might restore the data from remote backup or from unRAID parity or by fixing filesystem. In that case i would like to be able to verify only that disk, not the entire user-folder. Therefore it is valuable to have a separate scan for that disk.
    • If I restore from remote backup, I would probably use the local pr-dir .md5 to check files, because it indicates state at the time of backup. I might compare that with current md5data from global file.
  • If i accidentally delete a folder and restores it, I would like to verify the checksums based on the all files in that folder, and for that I need the scan of the user-folder.
  • If I want to manually verify a folders content using local .md5 files, then I'm interesting in using the local .md5 data file.

How I use it

• I have a daily cron-job to scan all disk
  • I have a quaterly cron-job to check for bitrot
  • These cron-jobs are included in the release, but need to be modified to fit your environment

Any comments are welcome. I'm not going to make it into a plugin, but others are welcome to help with that. Currently it requires some manually configuration of the cron scripts and md5recurse_unraid.cfg (and maybe more that I am not aware of)

GitHub: https://github.com/arberg/md5recurse

Releases: https://github.com/arberg/md5recurse/releases

Alternative solutions and threads (others solution to the same problem)

Edited by Alex R. Berg