unRAID 6.5.3 - Newb can't boot or even get started

kenjispence

Hello,

Looking for some guidance as I have been trying to boot unraid for 3 days now have run out of ideas. I'm new to unraid and have reviewed all the help docs/videos but cant seem to get anywhere.

Hardware:

-Supermicro X10SDV-TLN4F Intel Xeon D-1518/ DDR4/ SATA3&USB3.0/ Mini-ITX Motherboard & CPU Combo
-Crucial 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2133 MT/s (PC4-2133) CL15 DR x4 ECC Registered DIMM 288-Pin Server Memory CT2K16G4RFD4213
-unRAID 6.5.3 installed onto a bootable Sandisk Cruzer Fit B35 16GB USB 2 Flash Drive

My hardware build has been successful, I can configure my bios and even access my supermicro motherboard over the network, but can't for the life of me access the GUI through a browser. I believe my network is fine since I can access the supermicro motherboard directly through it's IP from a browser.

But I suspect the unraid OS is not booting properly because the screen just turns black and stays black.

The flash drive OS was created using the unRAID USB Creator and I've validated that it works since I can successfully boot to it on another computer, and my boot order is correct and I can even see the sandisk flash drive detected while in the bios settings and force boot to it, but then the screen just stays black. I've tried re-creating the boot drive several times with different settings (DHCP or static, and even older versions (6.5.2), but the result is the same; I cannot access the GUI from a browser.

Does anyone know if this motherboard is simply not supported?

16 minutes ago, kenjispence said:

I believe my network is fine since I can access the supermicro motherboard directly through it's IP from a browser.

What do you mean with this? Are you sure you haven't just connected a network cable to the IPMI-specific network port on the card?

If I didn't read wrong, this board has two external USB 3.0 connectors and 4 more USB 2.0 ports on pin headers - have you tried to connect the flash drive to the USB 2.0 ports?

Oh interesting. Yes you are correct, I did have the network cable connected to the IPMI LAN port. While connected to the IPMI I am able to ping the ip and access the motherboard over the network, but when connected to either of the other LAN ports (1-4) I cannot ping the raid. The GUI cannot by accessed when the network cable is connected to any of the LAN ports.

That's also correct about the USB 3.0 connectors and USB 2.0 port pin headers. I have tried connecting the flash drive to all usb ports, but it is only recognized by the USB 2.0 ports on pin headers. I've left the flash drive connected to USB 2.0 since the bios at least detects the sandisk.

Ok thanks for the advice. Booting from another USB-based Linux distribution sounds like a good idea, I'll give that a go.

EDIT: OMG! I figured it out. It seems that it was just the bios settings. The LAN ports were set to PXE. Once I set that to DISABLED now I'm able to get in via the browser no problem. 

Archived