Migration of my system

Masturnar1

I’m currently running Unraid plus on a old dell tower.

Single parity 2tb 5400rpm 

For the array I use 1x 2tb 5400tpm then a 1tb 7200rpm.

I want to migrate to dual parity with a new motherboard and everything fresh.

First, what are the step to migrate the USB flash key to the new system ?

Second, should I just copy everything somewhere while I wipe everything then preclear and finally migrate all file to the new machine after I comp’ete Alll these step

Finnaly, for the Dual parity what are the requirement ? Do I need the same speed/drive capacity or I can juste use any size I want ?

5 hours ago, Masturnar1 said:

First, what are the step to migrate the USB flash key to the new system ?

Normally just that you disconnect from the old machine and connect to the new system and make sure the new system allows boot from USB. But consider using a USB 2.0 port.

Second, should I just copy everything somewhere while I wipe everything then preclear and finally migrate all file to the new machine after I comp’ete Alll these step

Not sure why you consider this step if you are going to reuse the disks - then you can just move the disks to the new system and unRAID will look for the serial numbers on the disks based on the configuration stored on the USB flash drive.

If you plan to use new disks then create a new array with the new disks. Then consider either using a 30-day evaluation license to allow you to run two unRAID concurrently and transfer the data over the network. Or mount the old drives using the unassigned devices plugin and copy the data to the new array disks.

Finnaly, for the Dual parity what are the requirement ? Do I need the same speed/drive capacity or I can juste use any size I want ?

Each parity must be at least as large as any data disk. But the two parity drives do not need to have the same size. And you decide how fast drives to use.

• 4 months later...

Archived