Vdisk Data Recovery

This maybe of help to those who have found themselves either with a corrupted vdisk or their Windows OS suddenly decides to format the disk or does anything funky with it.

In my scenario, I had a stable but slow Windows 10 VM with a Samsung NVME and GTX1080ti passthrough and a Vdisk on the array, no matter what I tried I could never achieve bare metal speeds, at its best it was twice as slow. I persisted with it because I had other VMs running. One day, after a Windows update and forced reboot, it would not boot and would freeze and could not be fixed by start up repair. The only way I could boot it was to remove the Vdisk. I stupidly did not backup the Vdisk as I presumed all the data was already backed up to my amazon drive, forgetting that Amazon drive changed their service and broke my folder sync. 

I tried to attach the Vdisk to another VM and during boot up, Windows 10 decided to write over the disk and re-labelling it. To my horror when the VM booted up, the drive was completely empty. I feared all my work had been wiped, and as it wasn't a physical disc, I would not be able to recover anything from it. After a quick google search, I found some data recovery programs, and tried out Easeus Data Recovery Wizard Professional. The software is a quick download and install, to say I was blown away when I ran it is an understatement. The massive relief to see files appearing on a drive which had nothing according to WIndows was out of this world. The great thing is you download the trial version, see if it works and then pay for a licence once you know are ready to recover. The whole process of discovery and restore took about a day, but I got my data back from a situation I thought was hopeless.

Edit: limetech deleted link

After 2 years with Unraid, I will go back to bare metal and look for other alternatives as the performance hit has become significant.

Edited by limetech
Your link looked like spam.