Disk replacement plan question

shiarua

Hi all,

Im in the process of preclearing three (3) 10tb drives to replace my existing array.

Currently, I have the following configuration:

2x3tb drives (1 parity, 1 data) and 2 SSDs in cache pool. Array is encrypted xfs. I recently removed two 3tb drives from the array without replacing them because they were failing and I moved all the data off them

Basically, I would like to start with a fresh array (10tb parity, 2x10tb data) and move the data over from the 3tb drive with the data on it.

What I'm thinking of doing is running a "New config" with the 10tb drives in place which will also keep the xfs encryption with the same passphrase and using the unassigned devices plugin to mount the encrypted xfs 3tb drive and then copy the data over. Will this work as I think it will? UD seems to be able to mount encrypted drives as long as the passphrase for the encrypted drive is the same as the array passphrase, but I havent tested this.

Otherwise, I was thinking I could run the new config with the 3tb drive as a 3rd drive in the data array, have it build the parity, copy over the data to one of the 10tb drives with the unBalance plugin or via Krusader, then remove the 3tb drive and run new config again. However, I feel like this will take longer due to rebuilding the parity drive multiple times.

How would you guys go about doing this?