Onboard VGA to HDMI Issue

Iciclebar

Hello,

I'm currently using a Syba SD-ADA31040 to convert the VGA output from my Asrock Rack EPC602D8A (ASPEED 2300) to hdmi so I can have console access to the unit when needed.  Currently, the system posts and shows me the post screen and I can get into the bios and all that.  Once unraid begins to start the screen usually goes blank.  Occasionally this will result in a corrupted screen, and less occasionally I end up with the unraid login prompt.  (Non Graphic boot, havent tried using graphics on the console since I've been using this setup)

The on-board video is helpful as I am not required to run a separate video card in pass through scenarios, but the poor performance of the adapter is unfortunate.  I'm currently using a 27" 1440p Dell monitor.  The higher resolution on the monitor could be causing problems as the adapter only works on 1920x1200 up to 60hz.

I've considered some options:

Run my 1050ti in the slots above my 1080, don't use the onboard video.  Possibly look for a smaller video card slotwise in the future.

Run through the process of getting my unraid host to be able to use just the 1080 for console and for pass through.

Get IPMI working on my network (it uses java and its been a miserable bastard to get approved on win10's security list)

Find the magical unicorrn gsync monitor that still has a VGA port

Switch to AMD/Freesync next time for gaming monitors with VGA ports and no Gsync Tax (But more vbios/black screen issues in unraid)

Any other suggestions up and and including "get a new non cheap vga to hdmi converter" ?

Thanks

Archived