Marvell Controller Problems (Information Only)

Everyone,

Just wanted to reiterate what a lot of folks already know.  I own the following gear:

ASUS P5WD2-Premium motherboard

Intel Pentium D930 (dual 3.0 GHz)

8 GBs of RAM

WDC 8TB drives

generic case

Except for drives and memory, all parts are 12 years old.

I am repurposing the hardware and have turned it into an UnRAID server.  I bought the following off of Newegg:

SUPERMICRO AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 PCI-Express 2.0 x8 SATA / SAS 8-Port Controller Card

Unbeknownst to me at the time, the above card is Marvell-based and DOES NOT play nicely with UnRAID or FreeNAS!

Recently, I had an unclean shutdown happen and upon reboot, UnRAID wanted to do a parity check.  No matter what I did or tried, it would start and a short while later, report disk errors.  Eventually, it red-balled a drive.  I took the suspect drive out and put it into a Linux rig -- all my files were there and no problems with the drive at all.  After reading extensively of the UnRAID and Marvell problems, I went to Ebay and bought a used Dell PERC H310 controller.  I researched online how to flash it to IT mode , put it in my system, and now everything is running perfectly!  No problems at all!  Parity check took 17 hours to complete and not a single error.  I am very happy now and have learned my lesson on Marvell controllers.  

I am posting this in hopes that it may help someone else out there having similar problems.

Jeff