How to start fresh?

Hello everyone,

I've been using Unraid for exactly 5 years now, always with the same hardware, just adding drives when those were needed. I started with a very low-end CPU (AMD A4-5300) + 8GB RAM and a MB with 8 SATA 6Gb/s connectors, at the time that was more than enough for me.

The time to upgrade has come and I'm now setting up a proper storage server, more specifically a Supermicro 24 bay server with dual Xeon E5-2650 v2 and 48GB DDR3 ECC, which I talked a bit about it here. I've also purchased 2 new 10TB HD, one for parity and another for added storage.

Now, I want to start from scratch, I don't want to take the existing config I have, which started from version 5.4 I believe, and has a lot of crap that either isn't working anymore (like custom scripts for fan control, etc) or are not needed or relevant anyway on the new hardware.

With that said, and considering I have an entirely new 10TB drive, what's the recommended approach for this? If I wipe the thumbdrive and download the newest version of Unraid, I'm assuming I'll still be able to enter my license in the new installation, correct? I'm also assuming I will still have access to the drives content, but, files will be spread in multiple drives, so moving the data will be chaotic.

What is the recommendation here? I will only have 10TB free and have about 34TB of data to move. On top of that, some of the _old_ drives are still using reiserfs, which I would like to format to xfs. Or better yet, another question for the community: what's the recommended file system for Unraid? My main usage of the array will be for media storage and consumption (movies, shows, photos), as well backups.

TIA

Edited by joelrfernandes