GA-AX370-Gaming K7 GPU Pass-thru Problem (Solved)

SWKerr

I have moved my old UnRAID server to a GA-AX370-Gaming K7 motherboard with a Ryzen 7 1700. 

One of my main reasons for the upgrade was to support a Windows VM with a Pass-Thru graphics card and USB pass-thru.

This post is more of an informational post about what I discovered.  

The move from the old Intel based box went perfectly.  I just moved the USB boot with the SSD Cache and UnRAID array disks.  Everything came up perfectly.  The SMB shares and Emby Docker came up without changes.  The only issue I had was needing to change static IP on the router since the mac address was different.   

My problem was with setting up a Windows VM.  I was able to install a basic Windows VM without a problem but I was not able to get the GPU to pass-thru.   I tried multiple AMD and Nvidia Video cards without success.    

Ultimately the problem was with the BIOS.  Before I started the move I upgraded the BIOS on the GA-AX370 to F31.  This turned out to be an issue.  I later upgraded to the F40 BIOS but it also did not work as expected.  I ended up down grading to the BIOS version I had before the upgrade which was F23.  After installing F23 I was able to get the Video Card to pass-thru to the VM without a problem.

I was not able to get any on-board USB controllers to pass-thru to the VM.  I had to add a PCIe add-on USB controller to get that working. 

I will update this post if I find out anything that might benefit other user of this motherboard.    

Archived