So your new SAS (or SATA) drive won't start (spin up)?

On 6/10/2024 at 8:47 AM, JonathanM said:

Keep in mind that those connections are subject to vibration, and the connector is under spring tension to make the connection, so eventually the pin will reestablish the connection. Murphy's law states this will occur at the most inconvenient time possible.

The proper solution is polyimide tape, commonly called kapton tape. It's much better suited to this scenario.

triple coated.  im not worried.  nail polish is very hard.  

thx for the insight though.

This would make more sense to me if that the SAS drive NEEDS 3.3 volts on pin 3 to power up? I have exact same problem. Using a SAS to SATA converter and Molex power supply with no voltage on pins 1,2 and 3 at all. Windows detects the drives but states it's not ready because it will not spin up. I am using Sun Microsystem Toshiba 2.5 SAS drives.

2 hours ago, MaCJaX said:

This would make more sense to me if that the SAS drive NEEDS 3.3 volts on pin 3 to power up? I have exact same problem. Using a SAS to SATA converter and Molex power supply with no voltage on pins 1,2 and 3 at all. Windows detects the drives but states it's not ready because it will not spin up. I am using Sun Microsystem Toshiba 2.5 SAS drives.

What controller are these drives connected to?