unRaid Resussitation

Rustbucket

Hi All - I thought I'd re-introduce myself to the community.

About 2 years ago the unRaid setup that I'd been running for 8ish years dropped a drive. At 8 years old, It had grown from an initial 3x2tb drives to a 4tb parity drive, 6x2tb array drives and a 1tb cache drive (it was laying around). Brilliant person that I am, none of the drives or cables in the case are labeled, and I never upgraded to hot swap enclosures. As you can imagine, it's a bit chaotic inside that case (this is on my list of things to be remedied)

After the move, chaos ensued and I never pulled the server out of the basement. Shortly after that, I ended up getting a divorce,  more chaos ensued, as well as serious financial limitations. A friend gave me a Synology DS218+ that's been adequate and allowed me to enter the magical world of dockerization, but 3tb of storage only goes so far when you're used to 12tb. I finally decided unearth my server and fix and update it. After an exciting round of vacuuming and several cans of compressed air, I found that 2 fans had died in storage, but the bad drive has magically fixed itself. That's not what I expected...

I'm on my second parity check. Each disk has passed an extended SMART test. I have no memory of which drive failed. I'm considering booting off a USB stick and doing a sector scan of each disk. I'm also wondering if I should look a gift horse in the mouth and just put aside the new drive I have and wait for a problem. If the drive lives for a month or two, I'll have the funds for hot swap enclosures.

Anyways, unRAID v5.05 on an Athlon II 600e with 4gb of RAM, back alive (and going to stay that way, darn it!). For now, the DS218+ is doing a great job in running all my containers and acting as a Plex Media Server (the Atom processor it has supports hardware transcoding), so I'm imagining that I'll be running the two devices side by side for a while until I can afford to upgrade the motherboard/CPU on the real server. Eventually, unRaid will be a proper virtualization environment with a couple of Linux servers, Plex Media server, Home automation, and all the usual media server Docker containers.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading!

Edited by Rustbucket

Well, after running unRaid 5 for 4 days, doing 2 parity checks and a bunch of file cleanup to create some space, I finally decided to take the plunge. Of course, as soon as parity started rebuilding on unRaid 6, I started getting read errors from my questionable drive.

I guess it's time to cross my fingers and hope I don't lose too much data off of that drive and after parity rebuilds, swap the sucker out. I should have been more cautious.

Edited by Rustbucket