We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

File transfer progress dialog behavoir

So, I just got rid of my Windows 7 based NAS and switched to unraid. So far so good, but I'm getting a weird issue. File copies are showing up as though they are happening wayyyyyy too fast, and then showing up as done before the whole file is transferred.

My desktop is running Mint 19, and when I copy files to my new Unraid NAS, the dialog that pops up will immediately animate as though the majority of the file has already been transferred. See pic: a4vpjYC.png

That's over 700MB transferred as soon as that window pops up to show the progress.

When the file transfer is complete, the dialog will go away but the network traffic remains high for up to a minute afterwards while the file actually finishes transferring. I am using SSD cache on Unraid, but the data rate being reported by the "File Operation" dialog during a copy by far exceeds the gigabit ethernet between the computers.

I don't have this issue when interfacing with Unraid via a Windows 7 laptop, so I know the issue is with Linux, but Linux wasn't behaving this way before I started using Unraid.

Does anybody know the functionality of these dialogs, how they report progress, and where I can look to start troubleshooting an issue like this?

Edited by gottspeed