Needs assistance with some issues I have found - home setup.

Hi everyone,

I have a home setup of unraid with stuff I had lying around. I just used an old Laptop with USB ports for disks and some external drives along with an internal disk for the parity disk. I have pretty basic needs and use it for some storage and run a few VM's off it which is working pretty well and fast enough for my needs since I just RDP to the VMs I run and use basic stuff like word/excel etc.

However I have had a few things not work as expected and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to resolve them. I did already purchase a basic license since it works well enough not to be a showstopper but it would be pretty cool if any of the issues could be fixed.

The first is that the laptop display never turns off the backlight. The console does blank, but the backlight stays on. This means that I only get about 1 hour of battery life in a power outage, instead of like 2-3 hours. I tried some suggestions on the forum already such as using the command setterm or vbetool but they dont sleep the laptop display. I also bought a dummy HDMI adaptor off amazon but that does not help either (the laptop does not direct its display to it). Would anyone know how to hav ethe laptop display go to sleep?

A second issue, I believe related to it is that I cannot reboot the server. I can only choose to power it down completely then walk over and power it back up. if I opt to reboot it, then it gets stuck with the display flashing on and off during the reboot sequence and never comes back up. This could be related to an ACPI sort of problem that also prevents the display from sleeping I dont know. Its pretty irritating to be unable to remotely reboot the server but again, not a dealbreaker.

The third thing that also sucks ios that while Unraid has the option for UPS, is does not have an option to use the laptop internal battery or monitor its percentage, so when the power goes out, I cant use that as a UPS alternative to shut everything down (including the VM's) when its low on power. it just dies. This would also be really helpful to get working as I suffer from power outages during heavy snowstorms sometimes.

If anyone has any ideas on the above it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help :)

Edited by PeteUnraid
Email shown at bottom.