Is ReiserFS significantly more effiicient than NTFS?

I just got done moving my first drive into the array. This drive was previously formatted with NTFS, and contained a mix of approximately 300 800MB files (video), and 200 very small (5-10KB) files (thumbnails for these videos) all in one folder. Under NTFS, the drive had less than 500MB free.

Now, on the array, the drive has ~5.8GB free.

Either Reiser is more efficient, or I lost data in the move (doubtful as I checked file counts).

Has anyone else noticed increased storage like this going from NTFS->Reiser? If so, and it keeps up, color me pleased.

Also, I did not move over that funky "System Information" Folder. I'm wondering if that pig had ferreted away monseterous system restore data (before I shut it down) or something else. There was no Recylcler folder.

dschur,

Under NTFS a 200GB drive would normally format out to 186GB.

Under the unRaid OS with ReiserFS the unRaid webpage shows around 199GB which is a substantial improvement.

Based on the above observations I would say that ReiserFS probably has much less overhead than NTFS in relation to writing files to the HD.

Regards,

TCIII

TCIII,

What you're talking about sounds like the difference between 1024 and 1000 based sizes.  Hard drive manufacturers advertise using the 1000 based sizes.  A 200 GB drive is 200,000,000,000 bytes.  In 1024 land that operating systems use, that is 186.26 GB.

I'm not sure about the filesystem overhead, but I wouldn't expect a huge difference.  My guess is that hidden files (that Windows loves) were using space on the NTFS drive.

I have also seen a bug in XBMC that caused drives in my Windows machine to orphan drive space when I deleted files from XBMC.  I had a drive with way more space used than should be, so I moved all the files off of it, and it still reported 40 GB being used.  I had to reformat it to reclaim the space.

I'm thinking it must have been the hidden files in the System Information folder (man, I hate that folder). Recovering 6GB on a 300GB drive is just too much to explain to filesystem efficiency with 500 total files.

Also, while I use XBMC, I never delete files through it.