Heavy use cache recommendations

kc8hnz

I built my server about three months ago and originally went with a 1TB Intell 660p M.2 SSD. Alas, I didn't do my homework and didn't realize the new QLC flash is significantly less reliable over time than the older types. Out of a 200 TBW suggested lifetime, I've used 120 TBW, so needless to say I need to replace it sooner than later.

Since I use it more or less as a scratch disk before writing what I need to keep to the array over night, I was thinking of going with 3-4 500 GB or 1 TB 7200 rpm standard hard disks striped at RAID 0, and make sure nothing of value is kept on them for longer than absolutely necessary. While not nvme speeds, would this approach decent SATA SSD speeds all the while eliminating the excessive wear on a SSD? Or would a heavy duty SSD like a 860 pro be more suited to my use case? Thanks for any advice!

Without more details I do not think it is impossible to judge if you really need the high speed, random-access and IOPS of a SSD or rather, how much a HDD based solution would slow you down for real. Maybe monitor your current disk during work.  

Unless you change your process you would need like 480 TB-written per year. A 1 TB 860 Pro would get about two years and I think is is only available as SATA not M.2. Need to think bigger...  

These M.2 with about 1.6 PBW could last you like 3 Years:

Gigabyte NVMe SSD M.2 2280 1TB, M.2 (GP-GSM2NE3100TNTD)

PNY XLR8 CS3030 M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB, M.2 (M280CS3030-1TB-RB)

Patriot Viper VPN100 1TB, M.2 (VPN100-1TBM28H)

Corsair Force Series MP510 960GB, M.2 (CSSD-F960GBMP510)

If a SATA SSD is enough speed and IOPS then maybe:

Micron 5200 MAX 960GB, SATA (MTFDDAK960TDN-1AT1ZABYY)

Micron 5300 MAX - Mixed Use 960GB, SATA (MTFDDAK960TDT-1AW1ZABYY)

...8.7 PBW... 🤯 Might be the last SATA SSD you will buy - every.

But again, really look at your actual load.