My unraid server takes out router and internet.

ddaavve

Hello, 3 months into my plex unraid server and loving it. Today at work I received a text from an upset family member that plex wasn't working, so check and confirm that it wasn't working. So I couldn't wait to get home to see what was going on and no internet connection. Started troubleshooting my Asus Rt-AC56r router tried everything install firmware, reboot and, reconfiguring the parameters long story short, when I plug in my server with Asus Maximus hero 7 motherboard it knocks out the router. So, I'm assuming my onboard ethernet is hosed. I have an ethernet card that I purchased a month ago, but never installed was unsure of compatibility with unraid its a dell intel 10GB card. Look for the best course of action to solve my problem. 

Attached is a picture with the serial number of the card.

Thanks Dave

1582335946624-2041393736.jpg

I would check to see if it’s a network loop first, Perhaps a vm or docker is running as a dhcp server router on the same network vlan or subnet?

I did have a problem with a faulty 4 port Broadcom 14 years ago that would bring down an entire switch but it was the only time I ever experienced an issue like that. It was related to the cards rom being loaded with a bad firmware image, I ended just tossing the card.

Maybe try passing the card through to a vm to verify it works correctly? You can isolate it to it’s own vlan with a switch as not to disrupt traffic for everyone else?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, ddaavve said:

The problem I'm having is I can't plug in the unraid server in with out taking down the network thinking I should reboot by hit reset button, but it will be a unclean restart? 

Do you have any other network ports? I would try using one of those instead leave the 10gb card disconnected until you’re able to access the web GUI

if this doesn’t work plug and you don’t have access to the unraid terminal directly or can’t ssh into it - plug your unraid usb stick into another computer and rename this file from /config/network.cfg to /config/network.cfg~old

it will reset the network settings when you reboot the host, I don’t recommend forcefully shutting down but in many cases you might need to do just that if you have no access to do anything from shell or the GUI

• Like 1