VM setup differences

hi, I am new to unRAID and currently upgrading from my old NAS (only network storage) to a unRAID solution. I want to use this new hardware build mainly for network storage, but also for some docker container, plex and two VMs (one windows and one linux).

The VMs should erase the purpose of my current desktop PC for my work (currently dual boot, that's why there will be two VMs).

I never build a VM solution like that and so I have some questions:

1. Is it a good idea to replace a desktop PC with a VM completely? (of course having a laptop for problem solving situations in the house is essential)
    What are downsides, drawbacks (power, reliability, ...) and things to consider when doing so?
  2. What is the way to go in order to get a decent experience?
    I read different approaches in the web, but what is "the normal way to go"?
    1. Server with LAN cable to switch, Raspberry with LAN cable to switch and a VM client on the Raspberry (pure LAN connector to LAN connector)
    2. Server with LAN cable + HDMI Cable to LAN cable converter and the Raspberry then also with a HDMI+LAN converter (something like this)
    3. Direct connected USB Mouse, USB keyboard and two Monitors to the Server in order not to use LAN at all (thunderbolt maybe as longer range?)
    4. Maybe a completely other setup?
  3. Is there a big difference between 2.1. and 2.2. in case of speed? Does the input of keyboard and mouse lag? Or is there a limit of monitors (I need two) and display resolution (one is 4K, the other ultra wide) and the speed of transmitting the video signal?
  4. In Case of 2.1. and 2.2. is a 1GbE network enough or does this require a 10GbE? Because a Raspberry only has 1GbE. Otherwise there must be an other computer as client in order to receive and control the VM as client.

The VM should later be capable of:

Video editing, programming and sometimes a little gaming.

The hardware is not part of the question. Here I am only interested in the setup for the VM and the transmission to the client that the user will sit and work with.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by christopher2007

Hi

I can offer some opinion and personal experience;

1. I have replaced multiple systems with VMs. I currently run 2x OSX Workstations, one my own and one for family. Both run simultaneously and have dedicated GPUs, keyboards, mice, displays and sound capability. My system also runs a 3rd Windows VM that's 'headless' in that I access it via SplashTop - it has no GPU or directly connected input/output. I have a couple of additional Windows VMs that I spool up instead of the OSX workstations.

So, there are a lot of benefits in replacing desktops. You get lower overall power usage, you get the ability to reallocate system resources as needed. You get to snapshot your system, make whatever changes you need, and revert to the saved version if it doesn't work out. There are lots of other advantages. Disadvantages? If your server goes down, all your workstations go down. If a VM< crashes, there's no hardware button to reboot it, you need to do so via UnRaid. Your idea of having a spare laptop for troubleshooting is excellent and, i would argue, a fundamental requirement.

2. I don't use remote devices as VM clients. Instead, i either have direct cable connections (runs up to ~10M, or use KVM solutions. I've had really good success using AvAccess devices (see my blog here)

3. Cannot comment specifically. The above solution runs >1080p resolution with no latency at all over 20 year old  Cat5e network.

4. No comment.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your time and answers @meep.

So you use direct cables to the server (USB keyboard, USB mouse, multiple monitor cables, ...) or devices that combine all cables to a single network cable.

The first approach could be a problem for me because of the distance between server and consumer work place. But the second solution sounds interesting.

Thanks for your blog link.

But now I am curious with the setup. Please correct me if I didn't understand your post correctly:

The server has a GPU and the VM uses that GPU and other server resources (RAM, container space for the drive, ...). The GPU goes with a HDMI into a KVM emitter and from there on it is a Cat 5e/6 to a switch/router and into the network. Somewhere else there is a KVM receiver where a Cat Cable goes in. And out you get HDMI (monitor) and several USB ports (mouse, keyboard, ...).

So far correct?

It seems that this is a hardware solution for a Raspberry VM client software. It would be interesting to know how the performance in between the two solutions is. I would guess, that in a Raspberry software build you have more overhead for encoding and decoding with also the host device controllers.

But in the end I am now searching for a KVE device in order to get more information of the specs and maybe just try it.

Do you have a recommendation except the `4KEX100-KVM`? It seems only to handle one monitor. So what to do with my two monitor setup?

Or how are these devices in general called so that I can search for my own? (Until now I did not knew they exist, so I have no name for them.)

Thanks in advance.

Edited by christopher2007
1 hour ago, testdasi said:

Thinking outside of the box, why don't you just have the server in the same place as your desktop PC since you are replacing the latter anyway?

Because my girlfriend is maybe also having a VM and she has her own Workspace two rooms nearby.

So if one solution has direct cables, what about the other one? And if there is no performance drawback, I then can roll out one solution for both stations in order to keep it clean.

Or is the difference between network usage and direct plug so big?

Hi @christopher2007

I use both setups. One of my workstations is within 10M of my server (which resides in my attic) so I run multiple HDMI cables and a USB. Thes connect to a GPU and USB adapter in the server, each of which are passed through to the VM. 

For the other workstation to which I cannot run HDMI, I use the KVM extender. You have the configuration pretty much right, except that this model does NOT connect through your switch or any part of your network. It just uses a single Cate5e (or better) cable to essentially extend the display, USB and audio.

The technology is 10BaseT. Check out AvAccess. They are just one vendor, but they have lost of variants. Some use netwrok swicth, some dont. Some include USB & Audio, some don't. They are pretty pricey, but I picked up two sets on eBay for less than the price of a single new one.

Yes, they support only one display, but there's no reason you couldn't set up two.

Again, I cannot compare to a pi client set up, but our whole family uses the system with the KVM and nobody has complained about any speed or perfromance issues. After all, it's just like a direct connection - theres no software encoding/decoding going on.

Maybe not for everyone, but perfect for me.

• Thanks 1