Unraid 6.8.3: AMD-Vi Errors on Unraid Boot with 2 GPUs

My Unraid 6.8.3 server have been up and running for two weeks with no issues. I have created a couple VMs with passthrough successfully.

I added an RX 470 GPU to my server tonight and am receiving hundreds of "amd-Vi: completion-wait loop timed out" error upon unraid server boot [not during a VM boot]. With a keyboard, mouse, and monitor plugged into the unraid host, I can see the server will boot after a very long time (8 - 9 minutes) without an IP Address (169.X.X.X address) and named Tower (I have changed the name of my server). Obviously, there is no access to the GUI without an IP.

The only ways I have been able to get the server to boot is by only having 1 graphics card installed in the system (either the RX 470 or the R9 270, both work individually) or passing a command of iommu=soft in the Unraid OS section syslinux configuration with both GPUs installed. Unfortunately passing the iommu=soft disables IOMMU and I am unable to passthrough anything to VMs which defeats the purpose of the second GPU.

I also tried amd_iommu=pt in the syslinux config but received the same "amd-vi..." errors stated above when both cards are installed. 

Server Diagnostics attached below. This was captured with the RX470 removed from the system to enable the system to boot.

Server HW:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

MB: MSI B450-A Pro Max

GPU1: R9 270 (located in slot 1)

GPU2: RX 470 (located in slot 3)

Any help on what is causing these issues would be most appreciated.

osbornserver-diagnostics-20200401-2256.zip

• 4 months later...