Help using VLANs to separate Docker containers into different subnet - v. 6.8.2

Hey, I post a lot on r/unraid, but first post here so bear with me, and thanks in advance for any assistance.

I'm trying to separate out my docker containers into a separate subnet using VLANs, but I seem to be missing something.

For Network Architecture, I have internet > modem > pfsense router > switch > unraid

I have added a VLAN in my Unraid Network settings, 192.168.20.1 - br0.20

For Docker settings, I have setup Subnet: 192.168.20.0/24 Gateway: 192.168.20.1 DHCP pool: 192.168.20.0/29  (8 hosts)

Finally, for the Plex docker, I have set it to br0.20 with a static ip of 192.168.20.3

The Unraid side looks to be working fine when I start up plex, correct ip assignment.

In pfSense, I have created a VLAN interface on the same physical port as my LAN (where Unraid lives), tagged with VLAN 20

I have setup the firewall rules to allow-all, for testing purposes. The DHCP pool for the interface is set to not interfere with the unraid pool.

When I started Plex the first time, I saw in the ARP table the Plex container's IP with a status of "incomplete".

I haven't changed the switch configuration.

So, I'm guessing the issue is with the switch? Because I haven't tagged the switch port? VLANs are still relatively new to me, and I don't understand how a VLAN configuration works when set on both the router and Unraid, as my other VLANs are only set on the router and switch, not unraid. Also, I don't understand how I would tag the port on the switch, because as I understand it, if I were to tag the port for VLAN ID 20, then my Unraid server would also fall under the 192.168.20.1 subnet, correct? How can I setup a VLAN on the router, setup the same VLAN on Unraid, and have the traffic for both correctly routed when they both use the same physical port from the switch?

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...