Old and new - Input requested ;)

MadGuy

Hey folks. im contiplating a upgrade of my server/workstation setup and i would like your input on this.

Current setup :

Unraid server :

I5 4670k  - 24GB RAM
3x 512GB ssd cache
6x 8TB data disk
1x10TB parity disk
In use : 34TB

Old dell HBA to connect my HDDs, the SSDs are connected through the motherboard.

Dockers : Plex , sonarr/radarr/lidarr/, pihole, Sab/deluge, Grafana/varken/influxdb , lets encrypt, webserver , unifi controller

Manjaro XFCE Workstation :

I7 – 7700K - 64GB RAM
GTX 1070
1x 256GB SSD for Manjaro
1x512GB NVME SSD with a qcow2 fixed size virtual disk for my main windows vm. (mostly for gaming).
3x3TB in a Z1 storage pool (old disks) 1TB qcow2 disk for my windows vm for additional storage

Old i5 laptop with a discrete gpu, but nothing to write home about.

(just mentioning it)

-----------------

NEW : 3900x with a Asus ROG Strix X570-E
NEW 1TB SATA SSD with 2x500GB qcow2 virtual disks

USED : 64GB RAM  (carried over from workstation)
USED : GTX 1070(2,5 slot)
USED : GTX 760 (have that somewhere in my “old hardware stash” 2 slot card)

VM1 Main windows (used daily):     

4 cores 8 threads
24GB RAM
GTX 1070
1x 512GB NVME with the qcow2 fixed size virtual disk carried over from my workstation
1x 500GB qcow2 virtual disk for games on the new 1 TB SSD

VM2 Main Linux (used every other week):

same stats as windows, yet on a 256GB SSD only runs when windows isn’t running.

VM3 Firewall Sophos XG :            

2 cores 4 threads
6GB RAM
most likely storage on one of the ssds, wont need much (10gb should suffice)
2 nics assigned.

VM4 gaming VM :                           

4 cores 8 threads
16GB RAM
GTX 760 (perhaps upgrade this to a 1660 somewhere along the way)
1x 500GB qcow2 on the 1 TB ssd

The main reason I want the ROG Strix x570-e is that it has 2 nics build in and is affordable. However I couldn’t really find if It separate USB controllers into multiple iommu groups so I could give each gaming vm its own usb controller since I cant use another addin card. The top PCI 16x Slot would have the GTX1070 (2,5 slot card), the second 16x slot would have the 760 and the last one would be the HBA I have from dell. That’s also why I would need 2 onboard nics. I prefer not to hassle with risercards and since the case im working with (Corsair Obsidian 750D) doesn’t have space to put a card other than the standard locations I just don’t really care for janky solutions 😉

The reason I mention the laptop is because my better half used to use it to game on it, but since its really showing its age I would like for her to use it with Parsec / nvidia inhome streaming. But seeing as we don’t really have a lot of time , that gaming VM usually is going to be turned off till she has some spare time, so that resources could be assigned to plex when its turned off.. and when she decides to play, start another docker/change settings so it has less cpu to work with.

I could then try and sell the i7 7700k system , or just use it as a backup.

Option 2 is to keep the 7700k as is, and just upgrade the old i5 to a ryzen 5 3600. However I would prolly need to ditch the firewall from that setup or just reduce the cores of both the gaming/firewall vm so unraid keeps his resources to keep running.

Pros option 1:   

1.  Just one beastly machine.
  2.  Could scale up resources on a vm if I need it.
  3.  Awesome to make?

Cons option 1:  

1. Harder to maintain. (if unraid is down, I got nothing).
  2. About 850 euro’s for the motherboard/cpu
  3. Performance of one VM/Docker might impact the other?

Pros option 2: 

1. A lot cheaper
  2. Easier to run
  3. Not as dependent on 1 system

Cons option 2:  

1. Less resources
  2. Im unsure it would meet my performance requirement for everything I want on that machine. Upgrading to a 3700x would lessen the gap for the 3900x by a lot.

What would you guys suggest doing or have I missed things that might be even better than the options I stated?

Thanks a bunch in advance :)

Edited by MadGuy
  • 2 weeks later...