Virtualize Unraid in Windows 10

Hi everyone,

I was wondering how I can virtualize Unraid in Windows 10 (I haven't seen recent posts here about this)? My current setup is an Ubuntu guest on a Windows 10 host using Virtualbox. I would like get rid of Ubuntu and move to Unraid. Eventually, I'll have a separate Unraid server (I'm planning to get the hardware in several months). I'm hoping to be able to move my data easily from the virtualized Unraid to the bare metal Unraid. Is there a way to set things up now so that I can use Unraid now and move to a bare metal Unraid later?

Running Unraid under Virtualbox is quite straightforward - except that it can't boot from USB so you need to solve that using mechanisms covered in this forum (e.g. PlopKexec). 

If you want to later migrate Unraid (with your data) to a standalone box, you'd probably also want to pass your HDDs as raw physical drives rather than use virtual HDDs. This can be done using VBoxManage.exe internalcommands createrawvmdk - you can search for it to see details. 

What you would probably not want to do is to run VMs under this virtualized Unraid.