Aida memory/cache benchmark unreliable for VM

I've been trying to squeeze more performance out of my VM. Looked into cpu exact model instead of cpu passthrough. Never did memory benchmarking on my VM before, but the difference in results were stunning in AIDA64. Here are the results with cpu exact model = sandybridge vs cpu passthrough.

cpu passthrough AIDA64

cpu exact model AIDA64

But these results don't make sense. If it was the case, under cpu passthrough it should be slow as a snail for me. Tested with passmark v9 memory and cpu passthrough is faster than cpu exact model (2075 vs 2066 overall). Tested with GTAV benchmark, and cpu passthrough is noticeably faster, about 10% better frames.

Has anyone noticed this as well? Found this thread on reddit with same behavior. Seen that for ryzen/threadripper users, they get worse l3 cache performance according to AIDA when using cpu passthrough. Perhaps this AIDA64 wrong results only applies to intel core users? Does AIDA use some algorithm based off detected frequencies? If so, that would seem potentially very inaccurate in some circumstances even on bare metal.

Edited by kakashisensei