(6.8.3) Unraid does not boot (hangs)

Hello everyone!

I´m new to Unraid and have installed the server (bought a key) with the help from tutorials (spaceinvader, among others). I had some problems with setting up a Windows 10 VM for gaming, with the famous Nvidia error 43 coming up. But after some research on the unraid forums and the internet i got it working after many trys using a command script at the startup of the array.

As in the tutorial from Spaceinvader i used the VFIO-PCI Config (community application) to bind my Geforce 1070 graphics card and my nvme drive. That worked (till now) great and i could use the Win10 VM without problems. But after some shutdowns of the server the Unraid OS does not boot and hangs on the following screen (see picture)

IMG_20201027_112806.thumb.jpg.fc7b2e46b08174f987a2bf3b8cd097b3.jpg

So i tryed to boot in safe mode but had the same result (hangs). This problem happned after i used the Win10 VM for some time and shutdown the server.  I think it has to do with VFIO binding but dont know how to fix this, maybe the Unraid Pros have more knowledge then i !? Any help would be great thanks.

Update: Fixed the problem by myself deleting the vfio binding in the Vfio CFG and Syslinux.cfg, if someone runs into the problem.

Edited by Lanraider
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 10/27/2020 at 7:34 AM, Lanraider said:

Update: Fixed the problem by myself deleting the vfio binding in the Vfio CFG and Syslinux.cfg, if someone runs into the problem.

My OS got stuck after a reboot to bind a GPU related IOMMU group (RTX 2060) and that was one way to fix it and boot again, thanks!

For anyone looking for these files > Plug the USB Unraid into another computer > Delete or edit out the new changes on vfio.CFG > ... > Profit!

Edited by martinsthilaire

Hey,

I do have the same issue, so editing the config might help to remove it and get the system back running.

But I still want to pass through the GPU, so did you find a solution to get this done properly?

Btw. you may want to add the [solved] flag to the title ;)