• 6.12RC2 - Network Speed Degraded Compared to 6.11.15

chlballi
    • Annoyance

I tested the differential by running 'iperf' on a fresh install of 6.11.5 and running the test. Scores were as expected. I then made a copy of the output of 'ethtool -k eth0' to compare it to RC2. I noticed there were differences in the default drivers for RC2. I made sure they matched and tested again. Speeds did improve slightly, but it not as fast or stable as when on 6.11.5. On 10gbe only getting about 300-350MB/s transfer speeds to or from the server.

Current server on 6.12RC2 diagnostic attached.

r530-diagnostics-20230322-1938.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

The issue is with the these NICs right?

06:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries NetXtreme II BCM57810 10 Gigabit Ethernet [14e4:168e] (rev 10)
        Subsystem: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries NetXtreme II BCM57810 10 Gigabit Ethernet [14e4:1008]
        Kernel driver in use: bnx2x
        Kernel modules: bnx2x
    06:00.1 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries NetXtreme II BCM57810 10 Gigabit Ethernet [14e4:168e] (rev 10)
        Subsystem: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries NetXtreme II BCM57810 10 Gigabit Ethernet [14e4:1008]
        Kernel driver in use: bnx2x
        Kernel modules: bnx2x

OK, could be some driver changes, lets see if anyone else reports the same, though if it is that probably not much LT can do, a newer driver in a future release might help.

• Like 1

Interesting; I found the opposite. Network speed (at least, in practice, like manipulating files in a large folder with thousands of subfolders and files) has improved a bit over the 6.11 series, esp. 6.11.5. In pure file serving terms, those were the worst ever for me, and 6.12.2 (never tried 6.12.1) is noticeably better. The physical speed (using OpenSpeedTest docker webpage interface from windows and mac clients) is about the same (Aquantia AQC107 10Gb NIC), but actual practical file usage/serving has gotten back to where it's only semi-painful.

Nothing like 6.83, of course, which remains the high-water mark for me in file-serving response and speed. Every once in a while, I roll back to 6.83 and am amazed again at how much faster and more responsive it was with exactly the same hardware (true on 2 different machines). All the cool new capabilities now are great, but its a shame that, in general, the performance of the original and most important function of Unraid, network file serving, seems to get worse and worse. I realize some of that is due to underlying Linux changes; hopefully this slight uptick is the beginning of more improvement.

The recently released Samba v4.18 talks about more performance improvements, according to them achieving the same performance as Samba 4.12 before the performance issues introduced with al the security patches, so possibly Unraid will also benefit from that once that's included.

• Like 2