• Mover not moving files in specific share scenario

Crad
    • Minor

I've just setup dual cache pools and noticed that I can move files from one share (call it share1) which is set to use "Cache0" to another share (we'll call it share2) set to use "Cache1". The files are originally stored on the Cache0 drive.

Upon running the mover now, since Share2 is not set to use Cache0, the mover doesn't move the files.

Current Workaround:

If I change the settings of Share2 to use Cache0 instead of Cache1 and invoker the mover, it will then start to transfer files back to the array. once that's done, I can change the settings back to the original setting.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

How are you moving the files between the shares?    Depending on the method used this might just be expected behaviour. :( 

Hmm, maybe, I don't think so but I could be wrong!

I'm using Krusader and going to each share under /user and moving across. I can see how using /user0 or /disk might cause weirdness. Also I wouldn't expect the files to immediately move either of course. I think the logic in the Mover is just such that it ignores files in un-allowed areas for a share... which makes sense, until you have multiple cache pools

The mover behaviour is what is expected if files end up on the wrong cache pool.

if using Krusader you would need to use copy/delete to avoid this behaviour.   This is because of a quirk in the way the  ‘move’ operation is handled by Krusader.   If it thinks both source and target are on the same mount point (/mnt/user in this case) it first tries a simple rename (for speed) and only if that fails does a copy/delete operation.   In this case the rename is working so the file is left on the same disk rather than moved to one that is part of the target user share.

if you do the move over the network then it should always do a copy/delete so give the expected behaviour.