• Pathetic encryption performance (w/ Fix) 6.11.1

KyleS
    • Minor

Seeing as no one has brought it up... thinking I'm the first to fix this incredibly silly issue with Unraid.

Cloudflare(1) saw latency issues years ago with dm-crypt and implemented no_write_workqueue and no_read_workqueue which was upstreamed in Kernel 5.9 (with external patches for lower versions, of course). Using xfs-encryption on my 8 core system results in a nice system load of atleast 40, if not 120 (yes, 120, on a 8! thread system) with crazy WA times - making the system completely unusable.

As Unraid doesn't use /etc/crypttab, the only way to do this is to set the persistent flags on the volume. To apply this configuration to your disks is very simple.

cryptsetup --perf-no_read_workqueue --perf-no_write_workqueue --allow-discards --persistent refresh md8

To check your volumes, spin through `ls /dev/mapper`.

Yes, right now these disks are all rotational and there's a massive reduction in system load. No, I haven't played with read/writes or other ciphers to see if there's even more performance to get out of this. My system is usable again with a modicum of array writing so I'm moving on for now. The system load is even worse without encryption from it what seems like, ironically.

Cheers.

https://blog.cloudflare.com/speeding-up-linux-disk-encryption/

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.