• [6.10.0] Unraid boot device not found

GrimD
    • Solved Minor

After upgrading to 6.10.0 the server stopped booting with the message "Unraid boot device not found" after the 30 second time out. Tried formatting the USB, and doing a fresh (didn't copy my config folder across) manual install of 6.10 but the issue was the same. Have manually installed 6.9.2, copied my old config folder across and am backup and running with out issue. So seems there is a bug\issue in 6.10. 

I'm using a 16GB SanDisk Corp. Cruzer Fit as the boot USB

dbunraid01-diagnostics-20220518-2106.zip

• Upvote 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

sharing above PSA since sandisk are not advisable.

but anyways, since the drive is working for you it makes me just think your boot partition just needs re-doing once you have 6.10 installed. try running make_bootable script for your os.

• Upvote 1

Same issue here. Updated from previous stable via gui, rebooted and get the 30 sec message looking for device labeled UNRAID and it can't find it.

I tried to manually unzip the bz files and try again, same result.

I unzipped the previous stable's bz files and everything's working again. So there are no issues with my flash drive.

Perhaps limetech can clarify what that new process is so we can try and figure what the issue is?

Edited by dumurluk
    • Upvote 1

I have this exact problem too. Reverting back to 6.9.2 and everything works from the same USB drive, no format, no change, only moving back old files... 

• Upvote 1

Try re-creating the flash drive, backup current one, download v6.10.0 and unzip the files after formatting or use the USB tool, then restore the config folder from the backup.

7 hours ago, zoggy said:

sharing above PSA since sandisk are not advisable.

but anyways, since the drive is working for you it makes me just think your boot partition just needs re-doing once you have 6.10 installed. try running make_bootable script for your os.

25 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Try re-creating the flash drive, backup current one, download v6.10.0 and unzip the files after formatting or use the USB tool, then restore the config folder from the backup.

Thank you, but as per my orrigonal post I tried formatting the stick and setting it up manually as 6.10, including running the make boot batch file. It made no difrence. 

In terms of the USB stick it is one I brought years ago and is the exact model that is pictured in the guide and I saw various things saying it was the most popular stick to use. If thats not recommended any more then it should probably be changed in the guide to some thing else. As you said I doubt the stick is an issue as it is running 6.9.2 perfectly. 

5 hours ago, dlaventu said:

I have this exact problem too. Reverting back to 6.9.2 and everything works from the same USB drive, no format, no change, only moving back old files... 

No solution that I have seen so far. Just quite a few people stating to say the same thing in several diffrent posts. 

Try the below, it usually helps mostly with Dell servers and bzroot checksum error, but it won't hurt to try:

2 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Try the below, it usually helps mostly with Dell servers and bzroot checksum error, but it won't hurt to try:

Unless I'm missing some thing the solution was "I created another fresh install with the stable branch and it seems to be working now". Have tried a fresh install of 6.10 and its the same issue, 6.9.2 works fine. 

I had this same issue. I tried to remove the USB drive and run the "make bootable" bat file and it kept giving me an access denied to MBR error. I was able to work around this by copying all of the contents of my USB drive to my hard drive, zipping it, creating an ISO from the zip file using AnyToISO 3.9.6 Lite Version and then writing that ISO to the USB using RUFUS making sure to name the volume UNRAID. It booted fine after that. Maybe this will help someone else with the same issue.

• Like 1
    6 hours ago, JorgeB said:

No, the solution is this, though sorry I linked another post that linked to this one:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/119502-bzimage-checksum-error/?do=findComment&comment=1120488

Tried that but still the same :(

Also tried every USB port on the PC and went in to the BIOS and tried every possible option related to USB. The result of changing the BIOS was either it made it not boot from the USB key at all or the issue was the same.

I've attached a Photo of the issue. Looking through it, it does show the USB key being detected as a USB Mass storage device before erroring that it can't find a device with label UNRAID

Error.jpg

Also tried using the clean command in disk part to wipe all the config of the USB drive, reinitialise it as GPT and manually install 6.10 on it again.

Edited by GrimD

@limetechcan you chime in on what that new functionality is supposed to be doing? That way we can try and properly troubleshoot.

"waiting up to 30 sec for device with label UNRAID to come online"?

I mean, it is booting off of the usb drive up to that point. And the usb drive is clearly labeled "UNRAID".

Thanks

EDIT: I have a feeling it's exclusively for checking the usb id for license check, which would be quite annoying (to bring down the whole server because of a failure in simple license check). Even Windows doesn't completely disable itself when the license activation fails.

Edited by dumurluk

So I'm playing about with the currently and have managed to get 6.10 to boot. If I initialise the USB as MBR and then turn on all the boot compatibility options (CSM) in my BIOS\UEFI setup it will boot.  Initialising the USB as GPT and using UEFI boots to the USB key but then fails at the "waiting up to 30 sec for device with label UNRAID to come online" with the Unraid boot device not found error. This must be some sort of bug in the code as 6.9.2 works with no issues formatted as GPT with CSM completely disabled.

Going to try one final thing which is I have found an other 8GB USB key so going to try that out.

Edit: Well the other USB is supper old and crappy and I can't even get the mobo to recognise it as a boot device.

Edited by GrimD
    1 hour ago, GrimD said:

So I'm playing about with the currently and have managed to get 6.10 to boot. If I initialise the USB as MBR and then turn on all the boot compatibility options (CSM) in my BIOS\UEFI setup it will boot.  Initialising the USB as GPT and using UEFI boots to the USB key but then fails at the "waiting up to 30 sec for device with label UNRAID to come online" with the Unraid boot device not found error.

What motherboard do you have? Would you please post pictures of the settings you changed? It might help track this down.

It is a very strange problem, where the system boots from the flash drive but then once the OS is running it can't see the flash drive any longer.

3 minutes ago, ljm42 said:

It is a very strange problem, where the system boots from the flash drive but then once the OS is running it can't see the flash drive any longer.

It's not the system that can't see it, it's whatever script limetech coded that can't "see" it.

• Upvote 1

What size drive?  Is it formatted as exFAT or FAT32.  Drives formatted exFAT will have similar results, but that format tends to only be used on drives >32G

9 minutes ago, ljm42 said:

What motherboard do you have? Would you please post pictures of the settings you changed? It might help track this down.

My full diagnostic file is attached in the original post:

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. - PRIME H410I-PLUS
    BIOS Information
        Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
        Version: 1601
        Release Date: 02/11/2022
        Address: 0xF0000
        Runtime Size: 64 kB
        ROM Size: 16 MB
        Characteristics:
            PCI is supported
            BIOS is upgradeable
            BIOS shadowing is allowed
            Boot from CD is supported
            Selectable boot is supported
            BIOS ROM is socketed
            EDD is supported
            5.25"/1.2 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
            3.5"/720 kB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
            3.5"/2.88 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
            Print screen service is supported (int 5h)
            Serial services are supported (int 14h)
            Printer services are supported (int 17h)
            ACPI is supported
            USB legacy is supported
            BIOS boot specification is supported
            Targeted content distribution is supported
            UEFI is supported
        BIOS Revision: 16.1

I tried changing pretty much every USB and Boot related option. As dumurluk said the USB is seen after the boot, the screen shot shows that is is detected just before the error message. It is what ever process is supposed to detect the UNRAID label on the volume that's not succeeding. Also if I unplug the USB at the error message the Linux system shows it being disconnected and if I plug it back in it shows it being detected again.

9 minutes ago, dumurluk said:

It's not the system that can't see it, it's whatever script limetech coded that can't "see" it.

Is your flash drive plugged into a USB 2.0 or 3.0 port? I know people have had issues with Unraid booting when their flash drive is in a USB 3.0 port. Putting it in a USB 2.0 port is ideal.

8 minutes ago, Squid said:

What size drive?  Is it formatted as exFAT or FAT32.  Drives formatted exFAT will have similar results, but that format tends to only be used on drives >32G

16GB, GPT Partition formatted as FAT32

1 minute ago, Taddeusz said:

Is your flash drive plugged into a USB 2.0 or 3.0 port? I know people have had issues with Unraid booting when their flash drive is in a USB 3.0 port. Putting it in a USB 2.0 port is ideal.

I have tried both it makes no difference.

2 minutes ago, Taddeusz said:

Tried both, no difference. Unraid 6.9.2 boots in usb3 and 2. Like I said, it's not an issue with booting. It boots fine, unraid gets loaded up in ram, it's only when the init steps are happening, unraid somehow thinks the flash drive is not there (likely for license check).

There is no issue with actual bios booting

• Upvote 1
    1 minute ago, GrimD said:

I tried changing pretty much every USB and Boot related option.

Can you summarize which ones made a difference? 

1 minute ago, GrimD said:

As dumurluk said the USB is seen after the boot, the screen shot shows that is is detected just before the error message. It is what ever process is supposed to detect the UNRAID label on the volume that's not succeeding.

Right. The OS can boot from the flash drive but then when it enumerates the USB devices looking for a flash drive with the label UNRAID in order to mount it at /boot , it fails somehow. If the flash drive isn't able to be mounted at /boot then there is no configuration information and the system can't continue.

A bit of a shot in the dark, but how many USB devices and hubs do you have plugged in? Maybe unplug everything except for the flash drive and see if it can get past this. 

Just now, ljm42 said:

Can you summarize which ones made a difference? 

Right. The OS can boot from the flash drive but then when it enumerates the USB devices looking for a flash drive with the label UNRAID in order to mount it at /boot , it fails somehow. If the flash drive isn't able to be mounted at /boot then there is no configuration information and the system can't continue.

A bit of a shot in the dark, but how many USB devices and hubs do you have plugged in? Maybe unplug everything except for the flash drive and see if it can get past this. 

Nothing really made a difference except using a MBR partitioned USB with legacy boot (CSM) turned on in the boot options. GPT partitioned drive I can not get it to work no matter what I put. It either did the exact same thing or I stopped form booting at all which was basically tuning on CSM and setting it Legacy only which I would expect as its GPT and legacy boot doesn't usually work with GPT. 

I have nothing except for the USB boot drive and an ether net cable connected to it usually. Connected a keyboard and VGA monitor to trouble shoot the booting issue that's it.

6.9.2 works with no changes so some thing has changed in 6.10

• Like 1